Happy Mother's Day!

I want to be the first to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all our mothers, and to the mothers of our children. I'm thankful that my mom is still here at the age of 82 to roll her eyes and shake her head at the stupid stuff I do. I love you mom.

and a special shout of appreciation to some other noteworthy mothers:

moms_photos_2.jpg

moms mabley (how many thought she was hank's mother?)

tdc68.jpg

ma barker (she loved her boys)

bluesbrothers016.jpg

and of course, jake and elwood's "mother," the penguin

Mom,

I'm thinking of you today. Not just because you always said you'd be checking up on me from "the great beyond". I'm thinking of you because I miss you, Mothers' Day and every day.

As for the checking up on me, you weren't every clear on how you'd be doing that. I haven't been expecting a phone call or postcard. A singing telegram with a reply message feature seems a little more your style. But none of those either.

Maybe you'd anticipated the internet. So maybe you're monitoring my life through this place where I hang out a lot. Yeah, too much. But the people here a nice, and they understand that music I'm still listening to. Good old reliable me.

I think I'm doing pretty well with my life. I hope you agree. But I miss your insights, even the ones I thought - and I'm sure you could tell I thought - were outdated. Here I am, outdated myself.

Thanks for letting me do just about anything I wanted growing up. I think it's made me less fearful and more understanding of other people. Seems like kids these days don't get that freedom. There, I said it: "kids these days". I'm now you. But I can think of a lot worse things to be.

Love.