Celeste...why?

Shawn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a little celeste by Fats Waller (no-one's mentioned him yet) and Gene Harris on that first Three Sounds album.

Some people get the celeste and harpsicord mixed up - they sound and look way different from each other. The U.S. reissue of Freddie Hubbard's "Blue Spirits" has a bonus track on which the harpsicord is listed as a celeste.

For me, the harpsicord sucks and I think they should all have been burned with the old streetcars.

That's right really. The piano was invented, and tuned, in order to cope with any key and still sound in tune. This involves a small compromise in the pitch of each note. As you know, the harpsicord has to be retuned for each key - otherwise it sounds even worse, if that were possible, :P.

That's right really. The piano was invented, and tuned, in order to cope with any key and still sound in tune. This involves a small compromise in the pitch of each note. As you know, the harpsicord has to be retuned for each key - otherwise it sounds even worse, if that were possible, :P.

No...12 equal temperament was conceived to play close to in tune in any key.

You can tune either instrument to what ever you want.

• 2 weeks later...