Car cd player is broken

skeith

This is the cd player that came with the car, so it is in the dash.

Problem is that the disc just doesn't seem to load. It goes in but never plays.

Is going to a dealer (Toyota) for repair smart? I generally avoid that since they are so expensive and just use a mechanic down the street. The car is 12 years old

Who does replacement? Best Buy I think does it.

Anyone have any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by skeith

Check Crutchfield.com They are a bit pricey, but they include instructions, the wiring harness, faceplates, etc. to put an aftermarket stereo in almost any car. You can specify what car you have on the website and you'll know exactly what new stereos fit in your opening.

Either that or hit the junkyards and try to find the same stereo and just swap it.

Buy Kevin Breshnahan's cd/mp3 disc changer w/ fm transmitter, if he still has it...

Sorry, I sold it a few weeks ago.

If it's a Toyota, chances are it's a standard head unit. If it's a separate CD "deck" attached to the Toyota head unit, try the local junk yards. One of those would be easy to swap. The whole head unit take a bit more effort.

Buy Kevin Breshnahan's cd/mp3 disc changer w/ fm transmitter, if he still has it...

Sorry, I sold it a few weeks ago.

If it's a Toyota, chances are it's a standard head unit. If it's a separate CD "deck" attached to the Toyota head unit, try the local junk yards. One of those would be easy to swap. The whole head unit take a bit more effort.

No I don't think it is separate - if I understand you correctly. It is inside the dashboard along with the tape deck and radio (which work fine) fairly close together - so it may be just one unit. That's harder to replace? would have thought if it is one piece it may be easier to find the whole thing than just a cd player...

by the way, thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!