Obscure Organ Dates that are available on cd

undergroundagent

• 2 weeks later...

WOW :) Just repurchased that "Doug Carn Trio" disc. This album has got a terrific groove to it...I wouldn't put it up here with Patton, but I'll tell you this...the album reminds me of Grant Green sides from this same period, though slightly less funky!

A worthwhile pick-up for anyone into greaze! Thanks again, Jim!

Edited by undergroundagent

• 3 months later...

Obscure in the sense that to my knowledge these have never been available in the United States, but possibly some of our members in Germany are familiar ...

The German organist Matthias Bätzel. I discovered him within the past two years when I was doing a thorough investigation of jazz organ. I have three recordings featuring Bätzel, all of which are easily recommended to fans of jazz organ. The first two under his leadership both on the Swiss JHM Records label are the 2000 date Green Dumplings and Monk's Mood from 2001. Both are trio outings that show Bätzel's stated affection for both Larry Young and Don Patterson. The latter disc features all Thelonious Monk compositions and is the only organ date I am aware of to do so.

In addition to the two under Bätzel's leadership there is also a 1996 disc on the Organic Music label under the group name Grooveyard titled Basic Instinct. This disc features the rotating tenors of Ron Holloway, Houston Person and another tenor whose name I can not remember. On this disc Bätzel proves that he can maintain a soulful groove with the best of them.

Someone worth checking out.

Edited by relyles

• 1 month later...

Not sure of its current availability, but one that I think fits the description is THE EDDY LOUISS TRIO (released on CD a few years back on Dreyfus)- recorded in 1968, with Rene' Thomas on guitar and Kenny Clarke on drums.

36501.jpg

It is still listed as available on the Dreyfus website. I like it very much, a track from this was in the first Blindfold Test!

I have an extra one of these for $9.25 (including domestic shipping), if anyone's still looking for it...