Obscure Organ Dates that are available on cd

undergroundagent

Not sure of its current availability, but one that I think fits the description is THE EDDY LOUISS TRIO (released on CD a few years back on Dreyfus)- recorded in 1968, with Rene' Thomas on guitar and Kenny Clarke on drums.

Another one I like (also with Thomas on guitar) is Lou Bennett's ENFIN! (RCA /BMG France) from 1963.

I really like "Moon Rappin'" by Jack McDuff on Blue Note. It has a bit of a late 60s "spacy" feel to it, but it really cooks. Another good one is "Think" by Lonnie Smith, also on Blue Note but not available on domestic BN. Not really obscure I suppose, but I really like the Wes Montgomery organ trio dates - "Portrait of Wes" in particular.

Tough question - this board does a pretty good job covering the genre!

Eric

The Lou Donaldson Argo date with Tommy Turrentine on Trumpet is nice. Available from Japanese import I believe.

Also on the ARGO tip, I highly recommend the Sam Lazar records. Great, underrated player. Also the ARGO Baby Face Willette's are good while we're on it.....O.K...let me just say it...ARGO has a lot of great organ stuff people overlook. Blue Note and Prestige pretty much had the market sewn up, but ARGO did some cool stuff too.

Davef already mentioned Lou Bennett's dates with Rene Thomas but the very best Lou Bennett album is the first one the Philadelphia organist recorded after arriving in Paris in 1960. The album 'Amen (with Jimmy Gourley, Jean-Marie Ingrand and Kenny Clarke) became an instant hit over here. It's still available from RCA/BMG. Highly recommended session. And it grooves!

What about that Savoy date by Doug Carn?  That's a nice one.

I know of four or five LPs on Black Jazz, and he plays as much Rhodes piano on them as organ. They are all available on CD from Black Jazz, BTW.

I have them on LP, like Carn's organ playing very much. I'm afraid that Savoy date is hard to get ....

Edited by mikeweil

Not sure of its current availability, but one that I think fits the description is THE EDDY LOUISS TRIO (released on CD a few years back on Dreyfus)- recorded in 1968, with Rene' Thomas on guitar and Kenny Clarke on drums.

36501.jpg

It is still listed as available on the Dreyfus website. I like it very much, a track from this was in the first Blindfold Test!

Edited by mikeweil

Davef already mentioned Lou Bennett's dates with Rene Thomas but the very best Lou Bennett album is the first one the Philadelphia organist recorded after arriving in Paris in 1960. The album 'Amen (with Jimmy Gourley, Jean-Marie Ingrand and Kenny Clarke) became an instant hit over here. It's still available from RCA/BMG. Highly recommended session. And it grooves!

There was a 1994 CD reissue on French RCA (BMG 74321 192512):

B000006UC2.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

I agree this is the best of his French RCA albums.

The Baccus thing is VERY nice. He plays organ so much like Rahsaan plays tenor that I still have to fight the urge to believe that it's really Kirk playing organ under a pseudonym.

I got the Carn Savoy a few years back from Red Trumpet during one of their sales. It too is very nice. Not as "modern" as his later work, but still very happening.

How about Bu Pleasant's Muse album w/Harold Vick? As long as she doesn't sing, that's a very fine album. LP only, I'm afraid.

Duets with Kenny Clarke

e85701e0x9d.jpg

Regular Quartet (with Joe Thomas)

f66185d6i1l.jpg

The Duets are great!!!

Have to check out the quartet - I am not up to date on this series, I reckon.

Back in the vinyl days there were so many Rhoda Scott LPs available in Europe you didn't know where to start. I was not as much into organ then, so I passed her by ... I certainly regret it!