BFT #59 Discussion

tkeith

Thom , I'd suggest you re-do the downloadable files so that the song titles aren't visible !

Crap. My bad. Made this up on the PC and it's just a tad different than the Mac. Performed a step which, on the Mac, scrubs that... I've fixed it and it's uploading as I type. Should be ready for download by 8PM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, all systems are now go.

Track one is a swinging G minor quasi (no IV chord) blues from here. My man Sonny Clark has an early momentary lapse in concentration in his third bar, hitting a major third, but corrects himself immediately.

Well done.

Perhaps my choices of tunes were too long?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Downloaded and listened yesterday while driving around, probably not a good idea since I wasn't in a very good mood and there was some challenging music. So, the following comments probably reflect more on my crankiness than the actual music itself.

1. Whatta swingin' way to start a disc! If I didn't already own this Mosaic, I'd be begging you for the answer and then begging someone to sell this to me! Track 1 from Bone & Bari!

2. "Time After Time" after time after time after time..... this is the solo that doesn't end, it just goes on and on my friends.....

3. This starts off waaaaaayy too slow, makes a whole lotta racket before settling into a groove but retaining the same level of racket..... I could only tolerate this for a few minutes before I hit NEXT. (Listening to it on the computer, I see this goes on for fifteen minutes!!! Talk about an endurance test! Thanks, but no.)

4. Another one that takes forever to get going. Songs like this sound like they are in constant "introduction" mode. Get to the song already!!! Another one that goes on for almost fifteen minutes! I understand there are people who dig this, but I'm definitely not one of them. Sorry.

Those last two were so maddening, they made me realize that this is what jazz-haters refer to as noise when they express displeasure with jazz. I can't say I disagree with them, but then I point them right back to track 1 of this BFT. Or I could just point them to....

5. ....this nice slice of what started off sounding like some late 60's soul-jazz big band, then Rabbit comes in with his unmistakeable sound, then the orchestra makes some very Dukish statements. I'm gonna guess it's either a Hodges big-band date for Verve or an Ellington Fantasy date. Either way, I LIKE, and I'm gonna seek it out when this is all done!

6. "Ole," baby!!! I came very close to switching off the flute intro, and boy I'm glad I didn't! Have no idea who this is, it's obviously not Trane, it's not McCoy on the piano (in fact, I prefer this pianist's understated playing of the vamp without showing off), definitely not Elvin on the drums. Who could it be? No clue, but eager to find out!

7. {{{{sigh}}}} I tried. The soprano was nice, but the piano player sounds like he's trying to channel Andrew Hill, Cecil Taylor, and McCoy Tyner all at the same time. Oh well, at least this doesn't go on for 15 minutes. :g

8. This started out okay, but then the tenor started sounding like it was having a coronary. Nope, not sitting through this for twelve minutes. Like I said before, I understand people dig this, but it's just noise to me. Now, if I was watching this live, that'd be a different story. I can dig that. But listening to it at work or in the car? Sorry, can't do it, don't wanna do it.

9. Uhhhh.... yeah.....

10. Ahhhh! VERY much some Tony Williams there! But what? Starts out sounding like his 80's Blue Note group, but that is DEFINITELY Freddie Hubbard on the trumpet! And that has to be Ron Carter on the bass! Herbie on the piano, only thing left is to see if that's Wayne on the tenor.... and it is. So this has to be some VSOP recording, I guess. Did they ever make a studio album? I like this enough, but Wayne's solo is not my favorite. I don't mind when he goes out there, but for some reason in this case, it just sounds out of place, or maybe he's just out there too long. I don't know. Freddie's solo, OTOH, is ferocious, fiery, melodic, in your face with all kindsa grace!

11. Oh God, this was the most maddening track! I wanted to like this, I really did. I love that piano figure, the cymbal washes, but the tenor is just so NOT THERE! Wayne again? It sounds like him, but instead of sounding melancholy, he sounds comatose! That, and the frustration thinking I know the name of this song, but it's not coming to me! I keep thinking "Poinciana," but it's not. It'll come to me, probably after the answers have been revealed.

12. Sounds like a mid-70's McCoy Tyner Milestone date. Not really jumping out at me right now, but the beauty of McCoy's Milestone dates is that, while they take a couple of listenings to get used to, they are extremely rewarding. I wouldn't be surprised if this falls in that category.

13. Some solo piano somethingorother that didn't really hold my attention.

Alright, that's one man's grouchy take on it. Let others who enjoyed this more than I did (and there should be plenty of them) make better and better-educated guesses than this old bop-head stick-in-the-mud.

Downloaded and listened yesterday while driving around, probably not a good idea since I wasn't in a very good mood and there was some challenging music. So, the following comments probably reflect more on my crankiness than the actual music itself.

No apologies, Big Al! Nobody has crankier responses than yours truly. In fact, I still feel bad about the way I kicked Berigan incessantly while listening to #57.

1. Whatta swingin' way to start a disc! If I didn't already own this Mosaic, I'd be begging you for the answer and then begging someone to sell this to me! Track 1 from Bone & Bari!

Damn! I was really hoping this one would be the stumper and already two have nailed it.

2. "Time After Time" after time after time after time..... this is the solo that doesn't end, it just goes on and on my friends.....

Fair enough. It *is* a live recording, though, and is probably the best outing (IMHO) for this well-known tenor.

3. This starts off waaaaaayy too slow, makes a whole lotta racket before settling into a groove but retaining the same level of racket..... I could only tolerate this for a few minutes before I hit NEXT. (Listening to it on the computer, I see this goes on for fifteen minutes!!! Talk about an endurance test! Thanks, but no.)

Rawest of the raw blues. I understand your position and respectfully disagree. Another live one.

4. Another one that takes forever to get going. Songs like this sound like they are in constant "introduction" mode. Get to the song already!!! Another one that goes on for almost fifteen minutes! I understand there are people who dig this, but I'm definitely not one of them. Sorry.

Yeah, this one probably works better in context. There's a fun story that goes with it and I expect this to be the A1 stumper of the BFT.

Those last two were so maddening, they made me realize that this is what jazz-haters refer to as noise when they express displeasure with jazz. I can't say I disagree with them, but then I point them right back to track 1 of this BFT. Or I could just point them to....

5. ....this nice slice of what started off sounding like some late 60's soul-jazz big band, then Rabbit comes in with his unmistakeable sound, then the orchestra makes some very Dukish statements. I'm gonna guess it's either a Hodges big-band date for Verve or an Ellington Fantasy date. Either way, I LIKE, and I'm gonna seek it out when this is all done!

Yeah... I like to put this one on when someone questions the composer's hipness.

6. "Ole," baby!!! I came very close to switching off the flute intro, and boy I'm glad I didn't! Have no idea who this is, it's obviously not Trane, it's not McCoy on the piano (in fact, I prefer this pianist's understated playing of the vamp without showing off), definitely not Elvin on the drums. Who could it be? No clue, but eager to find out!

Not to go Deanna Troy on you, but I'm sensing that you don't care for extended solos. ;)

7. {{{{sigh}}}} I tried. The soprano was nice, but the piano player sounds like he's trying to channel Andrew Hill, Cecil Taylor, and McCoy Tyner all at the same time. Oh well, at least this doesn't go on for 15 minutes. :g

Kicked! :)

The pianist is going to be difficult one for people to name, but I love the arrangement of the tune.

8. This started out okay, but then the tenor started sounding like it was having a coronary. Nope, not sitting through this for twelve minutes. Like I said before, I understand people dig this, but it's just noise to me. Now, if I was watching this live, that'd be a different story. I can dig that. But listening to it at work or in the car? Sorry, can't do it, don't wanna do it.

I'll plead live recording again. I saw this band two days before this, having never heard of the tenor, and had the chance to have dinner with them and talk extensively with the tenor player at the break. Both his playing and his persona made an impression on me. Turns out, I should have known him anyway.

9. Uhhhh.... yeah.....

OH! KICKED!!! :P I have an official man-crush on the tenor player, and my favorite drummer. In fact, my initial idea for a BFT was one that had this drummer on all tracks. ;)

10. Ahhhh! VERY much some Tony Williams there! But what? Starts out sounding like his 80's Blue Note group, but that is DEFINITELY Freddie Hubbard on the trumpet! And that has to be Ron Carter on the bass! Herbie on the piano, only thing left is to see if that's Wayne on the tenor.... and it is. So this has to be some VSOP recording, I guess. Did they ever make a studio album? I like this enough, but Wayne's solo is not my favorite. I don't mind when he goes out there, but for some reason in this case, it just sounds out of place, or maybe he's just out there too long. I don't know. Freddie's solo, OTOH, is ferocious, fiery, melodic, in your face with all kindsa grace!

Finally got one you liked. Unfortunately, you're wrong on all counts. ;) At least you enjoyed most of it, though! I expected many to get this wrong, but in a different direction.

11. Oh God, this was the most maddening track! I wanted to like this, I really did. I love that piano figure, the cymbal washes, but the tenor is just so NOT THERE! Wayne again? It sounds like him, but instead of sounding melancholy, he sounds comatose! That, and the frustration thinking I know the name of this song, but it's not coming to me! I keep thinking "Poinciana," but it's not. It'll come to me, probably after the answers have been revealed.

Original tune. The title gets me in a personal spot that I'll make clear when answers are revealed. On this one, I might recommend a re-listen when not cranky -- even while I'll acknowledge creating the mood.

12. Sounds like a mid-70's McCoy Tyner Milestone date. Not really jumping out at me right now, but the beauty of McCoy's Milestone dates is that, while they take a couple of listenings to get used to, they are extremely rewarding. I wouldn't be surprised if this falls in that category.

I agree about the sound of the date, but this trumpet always knocks me out.

13. Some solo piano somethingorother that didn't really hold my attention.

Kicked!!!!! ;)

Alright, that's one man's grouchy take on it. Let others who enjoyed this more than I did (and there should be plenty of them) make better and better-educated guesses than this old bop-head stick-in-the-mud.

We'll see. I hope so! I'm feeling bad about this one now. For the future, I get the message: Shorter or shorter tunes. ;) Thanks for given the ears over.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck no, Al... just the crickets.

Perhaps the majority share your take but don't want to hurt my feelings. :unsure:

I'll say this much: I didn't set out to create the great mix-tape to end all tapes (didn't think that was the point). This compilation is truly about being a *blindfold* test, and I intended it to be a bitch. :excited:

How'd I do? :bwallace2:

• 1 month later...

Great, IMHO!

Can I at least have the answers? I really wanna know about tracks 5, 6, 10, & 12! :)

Just so folks know, I sent the answers to Al they wouldn't be posted to give a chance for people to listen and guess. Hard to imagine this test killed the entire process; say it ain't so, Joe.

I'm almost certain the track orders are jumbled for me right now. 07 Track 07 has to be Hodges and I haven't heard any piano solo. Track 1 sounded like 70's Woody Shaw in the ensembles then the alto came on like Jackie Mclean. Track 3 reminded me of the Verve Hawkins-Webster date. And track 4 was tenor in front of vibes and an insistent bass line that might have been electric bass (Johnny Lytle??, later Hutcherson/Land??). From Big Al's comments, I expected to hear some skronk, but zero skronk content so far. I like it all so far but have been browsing, not taking in whole tunes.

From Big Al's comments, I expected to hear some skronk, but zero skronk content so far.

Well, my skronk tolerance level is relatively low compared to a lot of other folks! ;):g

More guesses, folks, please! This is a very worthy, very challenging BFT. It ain't background music, Icantellyouthat! :tup

I'm almost certain the track orders are jumbled for me right now. 07 Track 07 has to be Hodges and I haven't heard any piano solo. Track 1 sounded like 70's Woody Shaw in the ensembles then the alto came on like Jackie Mclean. Track 3 reminded me of the Verve Hawkins-Webster date. And track 4 was tenor in front of vibes and an insistent bass line that might have been electric bass (Johnny Lytle??, later Hutcherson/Land??). From Big Al's comments, I expected to hear some skronk, but zero skronk content so far. I like it all so far but have been browsing, not taking in whole tunes.

Something is definitely off. Are you listening from a download or via the web link? I'll download it make sure those are okay, but the web version is correct.

The zip is correct, too. I'm not sure what happened, but you might try DLing it again. Track 07 by your description should be track 5.

Edited by Thom Keith

When I clicked the link it took me directly to Wimpy Player which had thirteen tracks in a track list.

Yup, that seems right. Not sure what to tell you. I go to the wimpy player, choose Blindfold Test #59, but track 05 is definitely the track you're describing as track 7. Track 7 is soprano saxophone.

• 2 weeks later...

Is track 7 Herbie and Wayne, maybe the 1+1 album?

I like the guesses, but no is the response to all (though I really like the 8 Bold Souls guess).

Per request of Big Al, I'm going to post an answer thread; I'll post it separately in case anybody still wants to give a shot at this. I'll also leave the links active.