A question to anyone who has...

dave9199

This particular twelve cd tree has been closed for some time; since then they opened a 1960 Miles/Coltrane tree which has closed, and have planned a 1980s tree for the spring.

Your best bet to get a copy of the tree at this time would be to approach someone who has it with a trading or blank and postage etc. proposition. . . . :unsure:

Thanks Jazzbo. I went to the site, signed up, and saw a name in one of the branches of a dude I know, e-mailed him and await his response. What are the ethics of these things? They were "advertising" another tree's stuff, including music played by Peter Brotzman, who's very much alive and would seemingly like to see some bread for his music. What do you think of the listener's responsibility to the artists? <_<

Edited by Lazaro Vega

PM me if you get a negative result from that email.

As for the ethics of these things. . . I think that cdr trees of material from artists out there touring etc. is probably a little beyond the ethical event horizon. . . . I may be a bad person, but I don't feel unethical being involved in Miles Davis trees. . . I've bought Miles material over anve over and over in format and veresion one after another, and I'll buy this material "legitimately" when I can. . . I'd LOVE to.

Some bands have tried to make the most of bootlegs as a means into the market, almost encouraging trading to build enthusiasm in a fan base. With jazz, recordings are more of a snapshot, a series of moving stills from the on-going dramatic musical life of a leader and their band. They hold a moment in evolution like spots on a cat; document the changes and refinements that are worked out nightly on the bandstand. What becomes frozen on the recording could shift by the next night, or after 6 months, a year. So in a sense jazz recordings, by which I also include the New Thing and improvised creative music, are less a product than they are a window into an evolving artistic process. Which begs the question, without prior judgement or moral stratus in the response: "What price love?" Should trees be broadast, frequency modulated, like waves from Jo Jones' cymbals? Or garretted in dehumidified basements, let out to run like big dogs over waist high speakers?

PM me if you get a negative result from that email.

As for the ethics of these things. . . I think that cdr trees of material from artists out there touring etc. is probably a little beyond the ethical event horizon. . . . I may be a bad person, but I don't feel unethical being involved in Miles Davis trees. . . I've bought Miles material over anve over and over in format and veresion one after another, and I'll buy this material "legitimately" when I can. . . I'd LOVE to.

I agree -- I have no problem buying legit, officially released material when it is available. If a record company does not find it worth its while to do so, then I think the material in question is fair game for copy & trade.

Guy