Five Days in Chicago

BeBop

Missed Charles McPherson at Jazz Showcase yesterday. Couldn't get off work. Only have five more days in the U.S. Was going to do Frank Catalano on Friday, until I heard about the Dawkins/Anderson concert. Now Catalano looks like the mid-week late show at the Green Mill (?)

I'll probably be at this one:

Wednesday, July 9th 2008

10:00PM at the Hideout, 1354 W Wabansia, 773.227.4433 ($6)

A Fox Can Be Hungry : Matt Schneider, Jason Adasiewicz, Anton Hatwich, John Herndon

Jeff Kimmel, Daniel Levin, Marc Riordan

Schneider, leader of A Fox etc., is a guitarist-composer who blends '50s influences from guys that he happens never to have heard (e.g. Howard Roberts, Barry Galbraith) with a spaciness that's his alone.

Kimmel is an excellent bass clarinetist, Levin is a cellist from the East Coast, and drummer Riordan, an emigree from Boston, is a fine, snap-crackle-and pop, listening player.

Shoot me for exaggerating, but he reminds me at times of Joe Chambers.

In addition to what Larry mentioned...

Corey Wilkes is at the Showcase from Thursday - Sunday - his band should include Robert "Baabe" Irving and others - it's going to be a Quintet

Ernest Dawkins Trio w/ Fred Anderson as you mentioned Fri/Sat at the Velvet

Frank Catalano does indeed to Wednesdays late night at the Mill

If I were only in the US for five more days, I'd go see Von Freeman tomorrow (Tuesday) night at the New Apartment Lounge.

If you have any interesting world music, there is a large group of Sudanese musicians playing a free show in Millennium Park on Thursday at 6:30 PM, free.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Anderson tonight and Friday. And Catalano tomorrow. (Really want to catch up with him for personal reasons. Otherwise Mr. Kart's suggestion looks great.). As for the Sudanese...man, I just LEFT Sudan.)

• 7 months later...

Heading back for five more days. Expect to be working 98.7 percent of the time. But also hope to bust out for one show. Unfortunately, it won't be Vin Freeman at Andy's, perhaps the best-looking possible show I saw here: http://www.chicagojazz.com/chicago-jazz-calendar.php

Don't know anything about Astral Project (Green Mill)

Eric Alexander is moderately interesting (Jazz Showcase)

David Boykins' Expanse (Velvet Lounge)? I'm a little fearful of too many vocals.

Any thoughts welcome.

Heading back for five more days. Expect to be working 98.7 percent of the time. But also hope to bust out for one show. Unfortunately, it won't be Vin Freeman at Andy's, perhaps the best-looking possible show I saw here: http://www.chicagojazz.com/chicago-jazz-calendar.php

David Boykins' Expanse (Velvet Lounge)? I'm a little fearful of too many vocals.

Any thoughts welcome.

While I love Von...not a fan of Andy's. Too much chatter from the tourists and the last time I was there....they asked us to give up our table after about an hour or so and move to the bar so someone else could sit there...seemed strange as we were still ordering/eating/spending money. We left instead.

m

Any thoughts welcome.

David Boykin is a good guy and I've sometimes heard him play some impressive tenor sax. But beware if his Expanse proves to be a trio, not the advertised quintet. Last month at the Velvet he played amateur drums for an hour while Jim Baker made occasional synthesizer burps and Josh Abrams played comparatively coherent bass. Awful mess.

Fortunately the act that followed was Fred Anderson, Han Bennink, and Brian Smith. Han was determined to do his old schtick, but Fred was wonderful, with those long, flowing lines, and he actually made Han play with him. Turned out to be quite a together duet. Smith looked on.