computer question - need help!

Last week while I was logged onto the internet, we had a brief power outage here. I started up the computer, and ever since have had a problem.

All of the forums I visit fail to recognize me, and require that I log in. This is so even though I always check the "remember me" box.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks guys.

I use Firefox. At your suggestions I went to the Tools/Options/Privacy and saw that both "Accept cookies" and "Accept third-party cookies" were checked.

Any other ideas?

That's Firefox. You might have a firewall or OS setting that's overriding those settings.

No system restore feature w/Windows 2000. That began w/XP...

Your ISP might be providing you with a firewall through your modem. Call them & check, and also ask for help with this issue overall, since it seems to be related to the power outage. Perhaps something happened internally w/the modem hardware or software that is affecting cookie usage.

The cookie/system restore issue is the most obvious problem/solution, beyond that, I'm not really qualified to offer any "confident" solutions, although no doubt plenty other people here are. But I still think it's something cookie-related, because that's how sites "remember" you.

Most likely, your memory got corrupted during the power surge. The best thing to do is to delete everything from your previous internet visits. To do this with Firefox, click Tools>Options. Click Advanced and then Network. Click the "Clear Now" button. Next, click the Privacy tab. Under the Cookies area, click the Show Cookies button. Click "Remove All Cookies" in this window. Now close Fiirefox and re-open it.

Kevin