New Selects now available for pre order

Gary

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curtis and Duke have arrived!

I've been listening to the Curtis Amy this afternoon. I'm in the middle of disc 2 right now. Disc 1 with Paul Bryant on organ was pretty greazy. I'm digging disc 2 more though with Bobby Hutcherson (and I'm not a vibe man).

For all those waiting and wondering. All discs appear to be defect free (physically), no problems with the books or boxes either.

:D

Ok...the Curtis Amy set is awesome. For me it starts of good and just keeps getting better. The organ material is good...I hope my warning % doesn't go up for not praising the organ ;) ... but discs 2 and 3 are simply fantabulous. So good, I had to make up the word fantabulous.

My only problem now is deciding whether to spin the Amy again before moving on to the Pearson. A what a delicious dilemma!

My only problem now is deciding whether to spin the Amy again before moving on to the Pearson. A what a delicious dilemma!

I could sense the Amy would be good via the sound clips at the Mosaic site.

Please, now, move along to the Pearson box so you can advise me (and all of us) as to the enjoyability of the material included in the Pearson box. :)

Should I place an order for the Amy and the Pearson, or just the Amy?

Everyone who hasn't heard Curtis Amy should take the plunge and buy this set. It is so far the best Mosaic Select so far....... Top quality playing all the way through!

I won't get the Pearson because I had some of the lps and with the exception of The Phantom, I am just not interested in that period of his music.

Just got my Pearson set and have enjoyed discs 1 and 3 so far! I really like Duke's work from this period and am always looking for more jazz choral writing so this was a very welcomed set! Have been wanting to get "The Phantom" but not wanting to $pend bucks on the Japanese (if even available). I really didn't care for Pearson much in my youth but here in middle age I've come to dig his sound, piano voicings, and approach to arranging, so I can see how some folks might not be into his later work...

"Merry Ole Soul" is pretty cool too...another groovy Christmas collection as hip as Jimmy Smith's or Ella's, etc... :)

Just got my Pearson set and have enjoyed discs 1 and 3 so far!  I really like Duke's work from this period and am always looking for more jazz choral writing so this was a very welcomed set!  Have been wanting to get "The Phantom" but not wanting to $pend bucks on the Japanese (if even available).  I really didn't care for Pearson much in my youth but here in middle age I've come to dig his sound, piano voicings, and approach to arranging, so I can see how some folks might not be into his later work...

"Merry Ole Soul" is pretty cool too...another groovy Christmas collection as hip as Jimmy Smith's or Ella's, etc... :)

Jeez.

This is going to make me have to get the Pearson box. I'll need to order it, possibly this week, so I'll have some time BEFORE Christmas to enjoy the Merry Ole Soul tunes.

Damn, damn, damn.

Can I just say, in regards to GROOVIN' BLUE, which takes up the first 5 cuts of the Amy Select Disc 2--DAMN!! :excited: Carmell Jones, Frank Strazzeri, Bobby Hutcherson--youngsters here & taking no prisoners, not to mention the leader. Disc 1 was all right, but disc 2 just keeps smokin'! And to think that this is leading up to KATANGA...

Edited by ghost of miles

Well, I lasted only one day before I broke down and opened my Duke Pearson Select which is supposed to be a Christmas gift. Listened to the Christmas tunes in the car while looking at lights with my wife and kids and really enjoyed it. When the disc ended and the disc went to track one, I wasn't so thrilled. The vocals really are beyond me I guess.

When I got home I listened to disc 1. Usually I'm not too excited about electric pianos and latin percussion and FLUTES. This usually means you're on the slippery slope to SMOOTH JAZZ. But Pearson had me deep in the groove. He pulls it off without being cheesy like the Mizell Brothers.

Listened to the Christmas tunes in the car while looking at lights with my wife and kids and really enjoyed it. When the disc ended and the disc went to track one, I wasn't so thrilled. The vocals really are beyond me I guess.

Same here (except we weren't in the car) -- loved the 'Merry 'ole Soul' numbers but grimaced at the choral arrangements that preceded them on disc 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Amy and the Pearson sets for Xmas and the Amy is a fantastic set. It's one of the better things I've heard out of Mosaic lately. I think the Blues Message and Meetin Here with Paul Bryant on organ are just top drawer but disc 2 that contains Groovin Blue and Way Down is simply fantastic. The variety of sessions that Bobby Hutcherson has played on never ceases to amaze me. Carmell Jones, enough said. This and the Carmell Jones are just great. Bring on more Pacific Jazz.

Perhaps like Lon said a while ago, Duke Pearson is an acquired taste. I've listened to it a couple of times but it just doesn't grab me, at least not right now. So, I'll have to reserve judgment for awhile.

• 2 months later...

I purchased the Duke Pearson Select mainly to get the 'Merry Ole Soul' set. I enjoyed 'The Phantom' but didn't think much else of the Select box. It's interesting how, sometimes, the music can sneak up on you, and you enjoy it whether you meant to or not.

I listened to 'The Phantom' this evening and enjoyed every part of it. I didn't stop the disk (disk #1) and let it play through the 'B' and 'C' sets, the 'I Don't Care Who Knows It' set with Airto Moreira on vocals. I caught myself enjoying the hell out of the 'I Don't Care Who Knows It' tunes just as much as I enjoyed 'The Phantom' tunes.

I'm still no fan of the 'How Insensitive' material. This music causes me to think of a bad mixture of jazz, religious, and pop/soul vocals. Some kind of a weird Lawrence Welk dream. However, the rest of the Pearson Select is working it's magic on me.

I'm surprised when a piece of music jumps out and grabs me, when my intention was not to be grabbed.

Edited by wesbed

Lookin' forward to that Pearson select. I have nearly all of it already but your comments on THE PHANTOM are making my mouth water.

Yeah wesbed, I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT is a fantastic album, a real late period BN sleeper...I love it, and I don't care who knows it! :P

HOW INSENSITIVE I also have, and must say so far it hasn't really fully grabbed me either. I wouldn't be surprised if it did eventually, though - several times Pearson's music has initially struck me as kind of kitschy or camp - even some of the stuff on SWEET HONEY BEE years back - but now I love it. Sometimes it's hip to be square.