Saw a Grado cartridge in a pawn shop for $89

slide_advantage_redoux

I spotted a Grado cartridge (in the wooden box with latch) in a local pawn shop today.

I know very little about these except that they are high end and usually very high priced. I can't say what model it was, but the shell itself was wooden. They were asking $89. which means it could be had for probably less than $60. (cash talks in this place)

Referencing their website catalog, even if it is the lowest priced wood shell cartridge, that one sells for $200, and of course they go way way higher.

I will be calling there tomorrow to see if I can get more info. Assuming it is in good condition and doesn't need repair or a new needle (even so), would this be overkill for an average stereo setup? I have often times heard that the best place to gain significant improvement in the sound of LPs is the cartridge. (having a decent TT being a given)

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance. There's really no way to evaluate the thing, and it's true value could range from $0 to a few hundred, with a MUCH greater likelihood of the $0. I wonder how the pawnbroker saw his/her way clear to buy (at some assumed price) and to set the selling price.

Just too much COULD be wrong with the thing, deep, deep inside.

Instead, spend $40 or $50 for a NEW basic Grado or other cartridge, if price is important. You'll get guaranteed function and known, modern technology.

My pricing's a bit old. Grado Prestige Black now $60 retail; discount around $50 (see, for example, Amazon)

Instead, spend $40 or $50 for a NEW basic Grado or other cartridge, if price is important. You'll get guaranteed function and known, modern technology.

My pricing's a bit old. Grado Prestige Black now $60 retail; discount around $50 (see, for example, Amazon)

Thanks !

I have a Grado Blue on one of my TTs and it isn't impressing me. I am very close to swapping it out.

If you want to give them a try, a high-end model for $60 sounds like the way to go. It's probably new if it's still in the wooden box. See if you can find out the model.

The cheapest of the wood-body Grado cartridges is the Platinum, which retails for $300. Their best is the Reference at $1200. Great if you can examine the stylus under a microscope, but if you can't it could destroy your records, and you can't replace the stylus on any of the Grado carts. You can send it back to Grado for a retip ($200 for the Platinum, $800 for the reference)...not a bad deal if you're in the market for a high-end cart, assuming there's nothing else wrong with it.

Also, Grado carts are unshielded and will hum on certain turntables. I've got a Grado Green that has hummed on every 'table I've tried it on (all inexpensive, entry-level units, but still). Could be wiser to try out a $60 Black to see if you like it and if it works on your deck.

Maybe I'm too much of a worrier, but I'd be afraid of hidden damage to magnets (from a demagnetizer, or one of those dreaded vibrating stylus cleaners), the coils/windings, the unexposed part of the cantilever, the suspension... How do you evaluate all that?

I can't seem to determine the exact model of this cartridge. It has the letters "TR" on the box (and the cartridge too I think).

Does that help? I googled Grado TR cartridge with no luck.

Greg

If I understand it correctly, TR refers to the type of stylus. Go to http://www.gradolabs.com/ and check yourself - there is a table of replacement stylusses on the page. That specific stylus seems to be no longeravailable, so it must be a rather old specimen. I'd rather skip it.

I'm using a Grado Blue right now, had a Black before which already was very good. They work well with the Thorens TT I have. But the buzz is noticeable under certain conditions - nothing you can do about it, a dealer confirmed. A good dealer should be able to tell you if they work fine with your TT.

I wouldn't buy a used cartdrige unless I'd know personally the previous owner or I could audition it on my table.

Now if I'd found a 10 K japanese 'Hattori Hanzo' handmade cartdrige for 50 bucks, I'd buy it and send it to Hanzo san in order to have it retipped, wich it would probably cost about half the price of a new one.