Glenn Miller question

Jazzmoose

I have this three LP set of Glenn Miller air checks (I think) that was among my Dad's records when he gave them to me, and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the set. The whole package is pretty beat to hell, and I'd like to know if the thing is replacable at a decent price, or barring that if anyone knows if the music is available elsewhere. The number is RCA Victor LPM-6100, and it's a pretty nice package for those "pre-box set" days, if you know what I mean. The liner notes mention that some of the tracks appeared on something called Glenn Miller Limited Edition, volumes I and II. Apparently the tracks were remastered by a Fred Reynolds.

Any clues? Comments?

I don't recall the Miller set, but it almost parallels a Benny Goodman MGM 3 LP set called the "Treasure Chest". That is also a set of air checks, and is not available on CD. I was delighted to find an almost mint set on the Gemm website (www.gemm.com). Maybe you could find a copy of the Miller set there.

The English label, Avid, has a bunch of Glenn Miller cds of airchecks, etc... It looks like emusic has them for download. I don't know if you have a membership or not (mine just ended), but check emusic.com, at least you may be able to here samples of the tracks - i don't know where you can find cds from the Avid label.

Good luck!

I think the Avids are of the Army Air Force band broadcasts on the BBC.

I have a copy of LPM-6100. Fancy ring bound package - not bad shape if I remember correctly.

I faintly remember some RCA lps from the '70s or '80s called something like "Chesterfield Broadcasts" which might duplicate the material.

A quick check of AMG just confused me. Maybe I'll have time to sort it out in the morning.

Those Miller airshots show the band to better effect than do the studio records, I think. It's still Miller, and it's still wound pretty tight, but there's a bit of genuine swing there that you don't always find on the studio stuff. The band was just inhumanly tight (a subject of much simultaneous admiration & exasperation for me), and the writing was often quite good (for what it was), sometimes great, so if you even halfway like the music, you might find the airshots even more likable.

My suggestion - Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other places to whom old folks and their families give stuff they no longer want and have no clue as to the value of. Eeitjer that or a really big used record store that carries everything all the time.

Yeah, Chuck, it's a really cool package for it's time. I was always impressed with it when I discovered it in my teen years.

Jim, my copy is really thrashed and noisy, but yeah, it's definitely more interesting than the studio stuff; I have enough of that on "The Essential Glenn Miller" 2 CD set that I never listen to... ^_^

I am sure you jazz snobs, I mean... connoisseurs :P , don't stoop to look in the Miller section , lest a jazz friend catch you doing this, but there are dozens and dozens of live cds....Magic has put out tons of them....I just can't believe that some, if not most of the tracks are not on cd at this time, unless BMG just has a stranglehold on these tracks, and they love to make moola off of Miller....Moose, can you give me a few tracks that are on these lps??? The slightly less common ones????

I have also said it before,(and wow could people care less! ^_^ ) but there is a all instrumental cd from RCA called The Spirit is Willing, that is the best of the non-Army Band recordings, IMO. (A quick check shows the cd is out of print) The title track is about as un-Miller a recording as you will ever find....of course, since it is out of print, no samples could I find.....

D-oh! Of course, Berigan; I should have listed the stuff to begin with, as it all has the freaking dates listed! (I'm only listing the first two songs in the medleys...)

Side 1:

Blues in the Night Dec 18, 1941

My Gal Sal/You're a Lucky Guy, etc. Feb 14, 1940

Sweet and Low Jan 16, 1940

I Never Knew/Let's All Sing Together, etc. Feb 7, 1940

Hallelujah! Jan 30, 1940

Side 2:

Sarong Jan 7, 1941

Nickel Serenade Nov 26, 1941

Whispering/Ooh! What You Said, etc. Jan 31, 1940

Rockin' Chair Apr 17, 1941

Sweet Leilani/Yesterthoughts, etc. Dec 19, 1940

Side 3:

T'ain't No Use at All June 11, 1940

Goodnight Sweetheart/I'm Stepping Out with a Memory Tonight, etc. Jul 10, 1940

Silver Threads Among the Gold Jan 23, 1940

A Love Song Hasn't Been Sung May 8, 1941

Some of These Days/Memphis Blues May 30, 1940

Side 4:

Dig It Dec 24, 1940

Walking By the River Mar 13, 1940

When Irish Eyes are Smiling/Confucius Say, etc. Mar 13, 1940

One Dozen Roses Jul 14, 1942

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot Jun 18, 1941

Side 5:

Conversation Piece May 28, 1940

If I Had My Way/All the Things You Are, etc. Feb 21, 1940

Blue Afterglow Apr 9, 1941

If You Were the Only Girl in the World/Sweet Potato Piper, etc. Feb 28, 1940

Solid as a Stonewall, Jackson Mar 25, 1941

Side 6:

Gabby Goose Apr 10, 1941

I Hear a Rhapsody Jan 30, 1941

I Cried for You/This Changing World, etc Jan 30, 1940

Solitude Jun 13 1940

A-Tisket A-Tasket Aug 28, 1940

MOOSE, I think you need someone who has a real discography to do real research....I think a few tracks are on the two cds listed below, but unfortunately, when I looked up magic cds, the sites selling them had no track listings!!!! :angry:

http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/Titl...sp?TitleID=4156

http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/Titl...sp?TitleID=4138

I checked about half of the tracks from LPM-6100 with Bruyninckx. All are available elsewhere if you can track down a bunch of (mostly bootleg) cds.

My copy is not perfect, but probably better than yours. Contact me at cnessa@earthlink.net and I'll send it to you. I got the set for nothing and might as well pass it to you for the shipping cost.