Hard Ciders - a decent alternative to beer??

Hard Apple Cider????  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, there are several serious beer connoisseurs here. What do they think, and everybody else too, about fermented cider??

Of and on for the last year or so, my wife and I have both really been enjoying a few different brands of hard apple cider. We had some on our honeymoon a couple years ago (we went to London and Glasgow), and had hard ciders of both the 'draft' variety (in a pub in London), and also in bottles (at Indian restaurants in both London and Glasgow).

We've also tried fermented pear cider on a few occasions, and have sometimes like it as well (though it gets a bit too 'sweet' for my taste buds sometimes).

The brand we've been drinking most lately (simply because it's the brand most consistently available at the grocery store we frequent) is "Woodchuck Draft Cider" (in bottles), produced by Green Mountain Cidery in Springfield, Vermont. I think the brand we had in London and Glasgow (both on tap, and in bottles) was a brand called "Strongbow".

If you like fermented ciders, what brands do you like best???

I'm not much of a beer drinker (what can I say - I just never got the 'beer' gene), but I have enjoyed other kinds of alcohol over the years. Of the beers at the bar I worked at 10 years ago (as a bartender!!), I probably like "Killians Red" the best, but even then - I wouldn't ever drink it unless I was getting one for free.

Any other drinkers here, who aren't very interested in beer??? I'm probably the only one, I'm guessing --- and the only bartender ever who really doesn't like beer. :wacko::wacko::wacko: (Not even with food.)

OH Christ...my ex used to drink that swill!

Thank Yaweh my current likes to drink beer almost as much as I do! If its not beer, then its wine. If I had to stay sober or drink cider, I would opt to temporarily side with sober, in so far as hopefully there is a good liquor store or bar nearby! :):party:

Hard Dicken's Cider

Never heard of it, but I haven't really looked all that hard for other brands either. I can tell I probably need to check out a good liquour store sometime, and see what else is out there, in the way of other brands of hard cider.

Say it out loud, and quickly Rooster!!!! :w

I totally missed it too, so don't feel so bad.

So, at least one person here (besides myself) really likes hard cider (Dicken's - or otherwise ;) ).

So fess up - who else (besides me!!) voted for the first choice???

And at least a couple people here like the stuff pretty well (it seems), despite their liking beer better. Any brands to suggest??

Any other drinkers here, who aren't very interested in beer??? I'm probably the only one, I'm guessing --- and the only bartender ever who really doesn't like beer. :wacko::wacko::wacko: (Not even with food.)

Count me as another who isn't interested in beer. I stopped drinking years ago though I had a couple of brews when Organissimo turned up at Ann Arbor. I don't dislike beer at all; in fact, I like it but don't feel it necessary to have any...ever, if that makes any sense.

As I get older, however, I sometimes pause at the beer section of the supermarket and wonder if I should shell out $6 and indulge myself on a good imported 6-pack.

Can't vote here because I don't believe I have ever had any of this fermented sassafrass! :g

I'm just not a drinker.