4 Corners

.:.impossible

I've been listening to this album for a little over two months now. Clean Feed has been releasing so many albums lately that I have a difficult time keeping up. This album is a little over a year old now, if I'm not mistaken.

I know there are a handful of Broo fans here, as well as folks who share an appreciation for Nilssen-Love.

This thing ROCKS. It is heavy on the bottom end with Lane's bass sometimes plugged in through some reedy distortion (Alfama, Short Stop). He and Nilssen-Love are really hooked up. Broo is outrageous and Vandermark plays very well. I still don't really understand the flack around here, but whatever.

I am not at all familiar with Lane. I got this album for the words MAGNUS, BROO, PAAL, NILSSEN-LOVE. His playing is very impressive.

I see that Lane studied with Braxton AND Leo Smith at Wesleyan and CalArts respectively. Doesn't Mark Dresser work at CalArts as well?

This is some head-bobbing shit most of the time (some solo statements to give Nilssen-Love's four arms a rest I suppose), and its recorded in a lively club as well, which adds to the fun.

Lane is often reliably solid though I found this one uninteresting myself.

I really enjoy the new CF trio he's on with Mark Whitecage and Lou Grassi, and the CIMP recordings with Vijay Anderson and Vinny Golia are also nice. Also the orchestra New Magical Kingdom (CF) and in the Mat Marucci/Markus Berger Ensemble (Cadence Jazz). Saw him live in the band he had with John Tchicai, Barry Altschul and Paul Smoker - excellent, as is their CIMP disc, Four Beings.

Guess that about covers it...

You may want to try Magnus Broo: Painbody on Moserobie.

Very good album. Lot of energy, interesting writing, and fine improvisation. The electric bass amongst the rest of the acoustic intrumentation gives everything an edge which is reminiscent of electric era Miles. Easily recommended.