RIP Rudy Ray Moore

trane_fanatic

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur47952.cfm

EUR has learned that after an extended illness, seminal comedian Rudy Ray Moore, better known as Dolemite, has died in Akron, Ohio. He was 81.

EUR was initially informed of the news by comedienne Luenell, a friend of the family.

Moore, whose actual name was Rudolph Frank Moore, passed away from complications of diabetes, his only child and daughter, Yvette "Rusty" Wesson, told us.

According to Wikipedia, Moore is perhaps best known as Dolemite, the uniquely articulate pimp (“… rappin’ & tappin’ is my game!”) from the 1975 film "Dolemite," and its sequel, "The Human Tornado." The persona was developed during his earlier stand-up comedy records.

Rudy Ray Moore was also known as the "king of the party records" and released many comedy records throughout the 1960s and 1970s, developing a style even more rude and explicit than contemporaries like Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor. This kept him off of television and major films, but cultivated an enduring fan base. He also guested on Big Daddy Kane's CD Taste of Chocolate, released in 1990.

The 2 Live Crew used Rudy Ray Moore's records as scratch samples on their early work; most notably on "Throw The Di*k."

Moore starred in "Big Money Hustlas," a movie created by and starring the Insane Clown Posse, in which he played Dolemite for the first time in over 20 years.

In 2008 Rudy Ray Moore reprised the character Petey Wheatstraw for the song "I live for the Funk" Featuring Blowfly and Daniel Jordan. This marked the first time Blowfly and Rudy have collaborated on the same record together, and the 30 year anniversary since the movie was filmed.

Moore began his entertainment career as an R&B singer and continued singing through his comedy career. He developed an interest in comedy in the Army after expanding on a singing performance for other servicemen.

Besides his daughter, Moore also leaves behind his 98 year-old mother Lucille. Although, Wesson couldn't tell us the exact dates, funeral services will be in Akron, Ohio as well as Spokane, Washington where his mother and the rest of his immediate family lives.

In the 1990's I watched quite a few of his movies and bought the LPs when I could find them. In the films, the acting and editing was awful but I recall they were still quite a bit of fun to watch after an evening of drinking. From memory (and it is hazy), I think I enjoyed Dolemite and The Human Tornado the most.

I guess I will have to play my LPs of Eat Out More Often and This Pu**y Belongs To Me for old times sake tonight.

what was his show like? did he do his comedy bits or did he sing too? i almost saw him once but didnt, i am regretful.

The show I did with him was him mostly singing and doing some of his most famous bits.... He was THE king of merchandising, I think he bought some cheap clocks...cut out some pictures of himself and put them in the clocks...then sold them for 20 or 30 bucks! Rudy lives....

So many of his bits were folkloric things that he packaged and put his own spin on. So when you hear him, remember that what you are hearing isn't just one man's lavishly lewd creations, but is instead a repository of a culture's most ribald humor. That Johnny Otis Snatch and the Poontangs album is another such thing.

Besides, some of those bits, like the one about Shine, the brother on the Titanic, are just too damn cool, period.

• 2 weeks later...