Bernie Grundman 'Time' remasters

MichL

Hi:

A word of warning about the Booker Little Time remaster from JVC. The actual remaster sounds very good, but there are pops and ticks through out the disc. The original master tapes were suppoedly used in this Time project.

I am wondering if the master tapes were damaged or if they sourced an LP for this release. Could be a manufacturing defect, but probably not. If there was indeed tape damage that made it through to the final cd I think there should have been some disclaimer made on the packaging.

I e mailed Bernie Grundman Mastering asking him what the issue is with the master tapes.

I don't plan on getting any other cds in this series, as there maybe simular defects/damage to the tapes and therefore the cd.

If any one has bought any of these could you share your observations.

Thank you.

Michael

Edited by MichL

IIRC, when Hoffman did the SACDs of the Turrentine and Sonny Clark (which sound amazing), he was going to do a few others as well but claimed at the time that some tapes were damaged.

Thanks. I sort of remember that being mentioned. I have a 2001 remaster of this title done by a Japanes firm that I believed did other Time titles at the time. That cd has no pops or ticks. Something must have happened in the mean time to these tapes.

Thanks again.

Michael

"Recording Computers: Clicks, Pops, and LatencyWithout a doubt, the biggest reason for clicks, pops, or just overall lack of performance in your home recording computer is often how you set your latency. This article will explain the easiest way to solve digital recording computer problems.

Latency Can Cause Clicks and Pops

It's not uncommon for home recording guys to ask me about problems with clicks, pops, and other random glitches in their recordings. There is nothing more distracting than hearing clicks in a track. It's tough to get clicks out in many cases and there is something about the clicks that just sort of kills the mood.

In 99% of all cases, your latency settings are causing the problems with your home recording. I guess before we get too deep into this, I should explain what latency is. For a clue, look at the first 4 letters. L A T E ! Basically, latency? refers to the amount of time it takes for an audio signal to flow into your computer and then back out for you to hear it. "

see above - I'm willing to bet that Grundman did fine but there was a clocking problem in the manufacturing -

Thanks Alan. Learn something new all the time. Someone at JVC droped the ball on these Time reissues. Someone should have caught this before they were let out of the plant. QC was lacking on this one. It is a shame since the mastering job sounds excellent.

Michael

Hi

Here is a reply from an e mail I sent to Bernie Grundman Mastering:

>>The sources that we used to master from was actually a tape copy made

from a vinyl record.

It was EQ'd to produce the best quality sound, unfortunately some of

the clicks and pops were unavoidable.

Jon Leroy

Production Coordinator/ Assistant to Bernie Grundman

Bernie Grundman Mastering

stering inquiring about the pops and ticks on Booker Little Time cd.<<

Read it and weep! I am supprised Bernie Grundman even accepted such sources.

It sounds like several were sourced from LPs, but the advert on the Japan site mentions master tapes.

I guess I am out $34 bucks!

Michael

Only the very worst clicks and pops can't be removed without damage to the music. I do it all the time. When you are talking about deleting or muting 4 100ths of a second (and that's for a pop with a long decay), any music that is lost is not perceivable to the ear,