Apropos of Nothing in Particular

paul secor

Yesterday I was reading George Lewis' A Power Stronger than Itself at my dentist's office. He asked me what I was reading; I told him, and he proceeded to pass on a couple of interesting stories.

When he was in high school, there were twin sisters in his homeroom whose last name was Beiderbecke. The name meant nothing to him nor to his classmates, but his homeroom teacher - who was my Latin teacher several years later - made sure that she informed the class that the two sisters were related to a very famous musician.

Years later, when he had established his dental practice, Max Kaminsky, who lived in Hopewell Junction, N.Y., one town away from his office, was one of his patients.

Nothing earthshaking, but the stories interested me and made my time in the dentist's chair pass more easily.

Yesterday I was reading George Lewis' A Power Stronger than Itself at my dentist's office. He asked me what I was reading; I told him, and he proceeded to pass on a couple of interesting stories.

When he was in high school, there were twin sisters in his homeroom whose last name was Beiderbecke. The name meant nothing to him nor to his classmates, but his homeroom teacher - who was my Latin teacher several years later - made sure that she informed the class that the two sisters were related to a very famous musician.

Years later, when he had established his dental practice, Max Kaminsky, who lived in Hopewell Junction, N.Y., one town away from his office, was one of his patients.

Nothing earthshaking, but the stories interested me and made my time in the dentist's chair pass more easily.

Did you discuss the new set of teeth Bunk Johnson had to have to get going again?

Did you discuss the new set of teeth Bunk Johnson had to have to get going again?

Didn't think of that one. Perhaps in six months when I have my next appointment. Having a conversation with him about wind musician's teeth might be interesting. Don't know what his experience has been, other than with Mr. Kaminsky, but I'll try and remember to bring it up next time.

funny thing about dentists and jazz musicians - years ago I met a dentist who told me that Willis Jackson was one of this patients - and man, did he dislike Jackson. Which is an impression I can confirm from once having briefly shared a bandstand with Jackson. Nasty piece of work -

Edited by AllenLowe

as I recall (and Chris might remember) wasn't it also a dentist who sponsored the old Harlem Blues and Jazz Band back in the 70's and 80s? Maybe a Dr. Vollmer; that group had Miss Rhapsody, Tommy Benford, Al Hall, Eddie Durham, I think - well, I guess this proves that dentists love jazz - I remember his intros for the band were annoying - always, basically, "I bet you can't believe this guy is still alive!"

Edited by AllenLowe

Did your dentist happen to mention that some guy named Schaap had asked him for discarded celebrity teeth?

That's too funny, Chris. I'm slowly coming around to your way of thinking re our friend (and definitely his) Mr. S. I'm still a NY musician and don't wanna bite the hand what feeds re gig announcements----but I would amusedely muse that perhaps a shovel and a placement of said teeth in Mr. Schaap's mouth---not enough to hurt the man,. mind you, only enough to weigh down his frightfully annoying tongue wouldn't be a half bad idea. I used to be a fan and know him almost 30 years from my break-in gigs at the West End. Now I switch to anything with a signal within two minutes of Mr. Schaap's 'chin music' and figure safe conduct/actual music will take place around a 1/2 hour later. Often I have to plan again.....Evidently our loquatious friend hasn't picked up on the message he so often cites from Bird to Earl Wilson, when he told Wilson (meaning why not shut the $%^ up, Earl) 'music speaks louder than words'.

Johnny Hodges died at the dentist. Route canal? Well, we all knew that one.

Hey, Paul. Been in touch w/the Big Diehl. I oughtta be up that way sometime soon. Maybe we all can do dinner again.

as I recall (and Chris might remember) wasn't it also a dentist who sponsored the old Harlem Blues and Jazz Band back in the 70's and 80s? Maybe a Dr. Vollmer; that group had Miss Rhapsody, Tommy Benford, Al Hall, Eddie Durham, I think - well, I guess this proves that dentists love jazz - I remember his intros for the band were annoying - always, basically, "I bet you can't believe this guy is still alive!"

Yes, I communicated with him to order one of their CDs when I was looking to get anything with Bubba Brooks on it.

the band was very good, with some problems - they had at one point a bass player who was clearly losing his hearing and when they played, all you could hear was that BOOM BOOM BOOM coming from his amp - I met the drummer Tommy Benford when he was playing with them and, at that point, I knew little about early jazz history. I almost fell over when, some years later, I realized he had played with Jelly Roll Morton. Tommy was a very nice man.