Charley Patton Revenant box relatively cheap on eBay

J.A.W.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody actually gotten their set yet? I'm about to ask for a refund, wasted a perfectly good eBay coupon on this too. :angry:

I gave up a while back and they refunded my money.

Ah well, guess I should follow suit. At least I got a brand new Ayler Revenant set for a $12 "Buy It Now" price last year on eBay, can't win them all.

Has anybody actually gotten their set yet? I'm about to ask for a refund, wasted a perfectly good eBay coupon on this too. :angry:

I gave up a while back and they refunded my money.

Ah well, guess I should follow suit. At least I got a brand new Ayler Revenant set for a $12 "Buy It Now" price last year on eBay, can't win them all.

I just bailed too. Bummer. <_<

I found a UK-based seller on GEMM that had multiple copies of the Patton set listed at $49.54 (and the amount was explicitly stated to be in USD, not GBP). No S&H amount was stated, but looking at their website, the per-disc rates that were quoted, although a bit more than BMG, were still reasonable considering the low price of the set itself and typical overseas postage rates, so I took the plunge.

Got a confirmation email a day or so later indicating the set had shipped. Then I got an email from GEMM informing me that my credit card had been charged for $123 and change. I immediately emailed the seller and told them there was no way I was going to pay $70+ for shipping, and that I'd file a chargeback with my CC company if I had to. No reply, and the set hasn't shown up yet, although it's still a little early. I haven't decided whether to refuse delivery outright and go the chargeback route, or try to get them to adjust the shipping charge, but given that they haven't replied to my email, I'm leaning toward the former course of action.

Caveat emptor.

Wow, was it a mistake in the listing price? I'm still happy with my $47 version, but you really did well!

Well, the Ayler box has sold for $35 on eBay the last few times from the ESP store. There's one for $45 right now w/ no takers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Albert-Ayler-Holy-Ghos...1QQcmdZViewItem

Funny how the value on it has plummeted so much, that thing was going for at least $75+ last year.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Wow, was it a mistake in the listing price? I'm still happy with my $47 version, but you really did well!

Well, the Ayler box has sold for $35 on eBay the last few times from the ESP store. There's one for $45 right now w/ no takers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Albert-Ayler-Holy-Ghos...1QQcmdZViewItem

Funny how the value on it has plummeted so much, that thing was going for at least $75+ last year.

Thanks! I just went for it.

I found a UK-based seller on GEMM that had multiple copies of the Patton set listed at $49.54 (and the amount was explicitly stated to be in USD, not GBP). No S&H amount was stated, but looking at their website, the per-disc rates that were quoted, although a bit more than BMG, were still reasonable considering the low price of the set itself and typical overseas postage rates, so I took the plunge.

Got a confirmation email a day or so later indicating the set had shipped. Then I got an email from GEMM informing me that my credit card had been charged for $123 and change. I immediately emailed the seller and told them there was no way I was going to pay $70+ for shipping, and that I'd file a chargeback with my CC company if I had to. No reply, and the set hasn't shown up yet, although it's still a little early. I haven't decided whether to refuse delivery outright and go the chargeback route, or try to get them to adjust the shipping charge, but given that they haven't replied to my email, I'm leaning toward the former course of action.

Caveat emptor.

I guess I have to eat crow on this one. I decided to accept delivery and attempt to get an adjustment to the shipping cost credited back to my card. However, after checking the international postage rates on the Royal Mail website, it appears that what I was charged for shipping is in line with the rate for a slightly-over-3kg parcel shipped to the US via International Standard Parcelforce. I've ordered items from overseas many times, but I have to admit I'm shocked at the shipping rate for this one. I still think the seller should've explicitly stated the shipping cost and offered the alternative of surface mail, but as the total wasn't really more than the average going rate for copies of this set, I'll just chalk it up as an expensive lesson.

Caveat emptor.

I guess I have to eat crow on this one. I decided to accept delivery and attempt to get an adjustment to the shipping cost credited back to my card. However, after checking the international postage rates on the Royal Mail website, it appears that what I was charged for shipping is in line with the rate for a slightly-over-3kg parcel shipped to the US via International Standard Parcelforce. I've ordered items from overseas many times, but I have to admit I'm shocked at the shipping rate for this one. I still think the seller should've explicitly stated the shipping cost and offered the alternative of surface mail, but as the total wasn't really more than the average going rate for copies of this set, I'll just chalk it up as an expensive lesson.

Sending stuff by surface mail is no longer possible in many European countries.