Sammy Baugh passes away

Baugh was known to make blunt, witty remarks.

After the Redskins' 73-0 loss to the Chicago Bears in the 1940 championship, a writer asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped an early touchdown pass.

"Yeah," drawled Baugh. "It would have been 73-7."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,3582613.story

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Baugh was the Redskins QB when they beat the Bears 73-0 for the 1942 NFL championship. Obviously, the most one sided title game in league history. And, yes, he was a great punter back before kicking became a specialty unto itself. Guys like Lou Groza, Pat Summeral, Steve Myrah, George Blanda, Sam Baker and many others all held down regular positions in addition to doing the kicking. Back in Baugh's day, the two way player was also the norm. The last NFL'er to go both ways was Chuck Bednarik of the Philadelphia Eagles who played both center and middle linebacker in the early '60's.

R.I.P. Mr. Baugh.

Up over and out.

Baugh was the Redskins QB when they beat the Bears 73-0 for the 1942 NFL championship.

Dave, it was the Bears who beat the Redskins in 1940. I believe that the Redskins went into that game undefeated, but that may not be right.

I saw a highlight film of that game some years ago. As I recall, many of the Bears' touchdowns were scored on interception returns. Baugh kept throwing just to put some points on the board to make the score respectable, and the score would just get worse.

The last NFL'er to go both ways was Chuck Bednarik of the Philadelphia Eagles who played both center and middle linebacker in the early '60's.

09-28-2006.n1a_28TOeteredgeDeion.G87200B8D.1.jpg

Contact my lawyer, baby; we'll sue his ass!

Yeah, yeah, I know...comparing Deion to Chuck Bednarik is like comparing falling down a snowbank to winning the gold medal in the luge...

From The N.Y. Times obit:

For all of Baugh’s exploits, a tale from his rookie season endures. It is evidently apocryphal, but its telling reflects the awe in which Baugh was held for his uncanny passing skills and self-confidence.

Baugh was taking the field for his first practice session with the Redskins when his coach, Ray Flaherty, handed him the football.

“They tell me you’re quite a passer,” Flaherty is said to have remarked.

“I reckon I can throw a little,” Baugh replied.

“Show me,” Flaherty said. “Hit that receiver in the eye.”

To which Baugh supposedly responded, “Which eye?”

Moose, I don't think that I remember that. Did Deion ever play sixty minutes? Did he play O and D in the same game?

1. No

2. Yes

There are other defensive players that have played offense too I believe, recently. I remember some game this season with a defensive line player coming in as an eligible receiver when the ball got down to the 1 yard line or so.

And though it pre-dated Deion, defensive lineman William "The Refrigerator" Perry scored a few touchdowns for the Bears.

Perry became famous for his prowess as a defensive lineman. In addition, Perry was used as a fullback when his team was near the opponents' goal line, either as a ball carrier or a lead blocker for running back Walter Payton. During his rookie season, Perry rushed for 2 touchdowns and caught a pass for one. Perry was once used in a surprise play during a Pro Bowl game as an offensive lineman.

Perry even had the opportunity to run the ball during Super Bowl XX, as a nod to his popularity and contributions to the team's success. The first time he got the ball, he was tackled for a one-yard loss while attempting to throw his first NFL pass on a halfback option play. But the second time he got the ball, he scored a touchdown; as a result, Walter Payton was denied an easy scoring opportunity.

I'm not sure any have played 60 minutes in ages though.

And I think Terrell Owens has gone in on defense for the Cowboys this season (or maybe last) at least once, on plays where the opponent is throwing a last chance, desperation Hail Mary.

Edited by Aggie87