Boyce Brown Recommendations

chitownjazz

I am interesting in exploring some of the work of alto saxophonist Boyce Brown / Brother Matthew. I would like help with recommendations and, where appropriate, information on CD (ideally) or LP availability. Here are the items I am aware of, mostly taken from Sudhalter's Lost Chords book.

1. 1935 recordings with Paul Mares and His Friars’ Society Orchestra. Sudhalter mentions 2 takes each of 4 tunes, I’ve only found 2 of the 8 tracks on CD, on Chicago White Small Bands
  2. 1935 recordings with Charle La Vere - Available?
  3. 1939 four tracks with Jimmy McPartland, evidently available on Shades of Bix double LP, has this made it to CD?
  4. 1940 two tracks with Bill Davison – I Surrender Dear and On a Blues Kick - Available?
  5. Squirrel Ashcraft live sessions - Do any of these feature Boyce, and are they available?
  6. Kansas City Frank Melrose – Bluesiana (Delmark CD)
  7. Brother Matthew with Eddie Condon’s Jazz Band (ABC Paramount LP)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The Jimmy McPartland recordings were originally part of George Avakian's 'Chicago Jazz' Album, which I have on LP. I don't think the entire album has been reissued on CD - some of the material, the Condon sides I think were released under the 'supervision' of Orrin Keepnews a few years back with truly horrific sound quality.

1. 1935 recordings with Paul Mares and His Friars’ Society Orchestra. Sudhalter mentions 2 takes each of 4 tunes, I’ve only found 2 of the 8 tracks on CD, on Chicago White Small Bands
I have these on an IAJRC LP

1. 1935 recordings with Charle La Vere - Available?
as above

1. Kansas City Frank Melrose – Bluesiana (Delmark CD
the delmark cd is available - he plays tenor, plays well, but with less distinction than his alto -

I have these on an IAJRC LP

1. 1935 recordings with Charle La Vere - Available?
as above

1. Kansas City Frank Melrose – Bluesiana (Delmark CD
the delmark cd is available - he plays tenor, plays well, but with less distinction than his alto -

Thanks Allen, if you have a chance to look up titles it would help me search for them.

Has anyone heard the Brother Matthew LP? Sudhalter dismisses it while AMG says Brown is in top form.

The Jimmy McPartland recordings were originally part of George Avakian's 'Chicago Jazz' Album, which I have on LP. I don't think the entire album has been reissued on CD - some of the material, the Condon sides I think were released under the 'supervision' of Orrin Keepnews a few years back with truly horrific sound quality.

Thanks Carnivore, looks like the Shade of Bix LP is easier to turn up (or maybe it's just that "Chicago Jazz" is such a generic search).

I listened to the Brother Matthew Lp a long time ago at Rutgers - as I recall it was painfully bad. He just didn't have the chops anymore.

Then the question becomes whether it's worth it for the album cover alone. How often do you see a friar playing jazz alto?

Well, if you're talking about the lp with Condonites I think it's quite nice! Hopefully it will surface on cd or download one day.

As far as the McPartland sides are concerned, Brown's playing is quite eccentric and I've never heard anyone else play remotely like him. I always thought the sides were great in spite of Boyce. I recall hearing the Brother Matthew album a long time ago and thought it was pretty disastrous, at least from his point of view. The remainder of the 'Chicago Jazz Album' also included a marvelous set from George Wettling with Charlie Teagarden, Joe Marsala on tenor, Danny Polo, Floyd O'Brien, Jess Stacy, Jack Bland, and Artie Shapiro

1. & 2.: I have four sides from the Paul Mares session (1/26/35) as well as the Charles LaVere sides (3/11/36) on a CD called "Chicago 1935" on the Ganett label. Here's a link: http://www.users.dialstart.net/~jandmrec/q...%20reissues.htm

I suspect that the CD is likely out of print.

I'm not at home, so I can't confirm it at the moment, but it looks like the NORK 2-cd set on Retrieval may have 2 takes of Nagasaki and 2 takes of Maple Leaf Rag from the Paul Mares session. I'll check tonight when I get home.

4. I've heard at least one of two tracks with Will Bill Davision on 78. I don't remember them ever having been reissued.

I am interesting in exploring some of the work of alto saxophonist Boyce Brown / Brother Matthew. I would like help with recommendations and, where appropriate, information on CD (ideally) or LP availability. Here are the items I am aware of, mostly taken from Sudhalter's Lost Chords book.

2. 1935 recordings with Charle La Vere - Available?
  3. 1939 four tracks with Jimmy McPartland, evidently available on Shades of Bix double LP, has this made it to CD?
  4. 1940 two tracks with Bill Davison – I Surrender Dear and On a Blues Kick - Available?
  5. Squirrel Ashcraft live sessions - Do any of these feature Boyce, and are they available?
  6. Kansas City Frank Melrose – Bluesiana (Delmark CD)
  7. Brother Matthew with Eddie Condon’s Jazz Band (ABC Paramount LP)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Well, if you're talking about the lp with Condonites I think it's quite nice! Hopefully it will surface on cd or download one day.

I am. Maybe it's like Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin. To me she sounds like Michigan J. Frog when he refuses to sing. But some people claim it's good.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts everyone, this gives me a great start. "Eccentric" is exactly what I'm looking for.

Edited by chitownjazz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just discovered this forum. Hello to all, particularly chitownjazz.

I just won the Wild Bill Davidson/Boyce Brown Collector's Item 78 in an auction. Apparently it has never been reissued in any other format. I'll let you know how it is when I get it. Now let me see if my 78 RPM turntable still works....

• 2 weeks later...

The Collector's Item 78 arrived yesterday, and it's pretty good. The first side, "On a Blues Kick," has a great alto solo - asymmetrical phrasing and unusual note choices. It's obvious that Brown is really improvising, not just running patterns. The flip side, "I Surrender Dear," is not quite as good - it's played with an odd, straight-eighth-note feel throughout. Maybe it's pre-bossa. Boyce's odd note choices are still there, but the phrasing is stiffer. Wild Bill Davidson sounds good in the ensembles, but doesn't take any solos.

There is no band name listed on the label, just the names and instruments of the five musicians, none of whom I've heard of except for Brown and Davidson. For some reason I'd always thought of this as a Wild Bill Davidson date, but I thought it was interesting that "BB" is engraved in the dead wax on side one. Side two just has "2." The piano is pretty bad; I've seen a picture of the recording session, and it looks like they recorded on the bandstand of a club. Anyway, it's a cool little record. And I haven't dropped it yet.

And I take the middle ground on the "Brother Matthew" LP. Boyce is still full of interesting ideas - he just can't execute them very well at that point. Worth hearing, if you're interested in BB.

Edited by jeffcrom

is there any chance you can make me a CDR or other type copy of "On a Blues Kick" ?

I'll be glad to, if you can be patient for a couple of weeks. With going into logistics, I'm going to burn a bunch of 78s onto CD-R in about two or three weeks. I'll make you a copy at that time.

• 1 year later...