Purepleasure Audiophile LPs from England

jazzkrow

I have been listening toand now own some Audiophile 180 gram remastered LPs from Purepleasure out of England. They have re-released many classic rock, blues, and jazz LPs.

Including Laura Nyro (New York Tendaberry), Muddy Waters, some Black and Blue re-issues, i.e. Budd Johnson, Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughan (Roulette issue), Duke Ellington, etc.

I have found the acoustics to be exemplary.

The LPs are pricey ($30-35 range) but well worth it

Anyone else out there discovered this label?

A Search showed no topics yet-unless I used the wrong Search parameters.

Jeff

I've a couple of their Candid masterings Jazz Reunion with Pee Wee , Bob Brookmeyer , Hawk etc sounds wonderful, Booker Ervin's "That's it" sounds fine too but I suspect the original recording wasn't the very best. Pressings seem very good indeed , very quiet , nice and solid, sleeves also very tidy.

Edited by Clunky

I've a couple of their Candid masterings Jazz Reunion with Pee Wee , Bob Brookmeyer , Hawk etc sounds wonderful, Booker Ervin's "That's it" sounds fine too but I suspect the original recording wasn't the very best. Pressings seem very good indeed , very quiet , nice and solid, sleeves also very tidy.

Presumably they've also done the Max Roach 'Freedom Now Suite' too? Saw that one in a shop for about £20 - would be interested in how it sounds.

Presumably they've also done the Max Roach 'Freedom Now Suite' too? Saw that one in a shop for about £20 - would be interested in how it sounds.

I'd forgot I had that one, a bit like the Booker, it strikes me as a good transfer on perfect vinyl , just not sure the original recording is good enough to justify the outlay, as with Booker the PP editions are only ones, of these sessions, that I've heard.

I like most of them, especially the Candid reissues (since lots of Candid CD releases sound poor), but I had issues with a few releases, because of the choice of master tapes:

- Randy Weston "Little Niles" uses the mono tapes, while the stereo tapes (both sound good) have been used on the Randy Weston Mosaic Select. I don't care about a mono version as long as good sounding stereo recording is available.

- Gil Evans "New bootles old wine" uses the LP master, which has lots of added reverb. The artificial reverb sounds quite natural, but it's distracting after having heard the dry recording which is on the Gil Evans Mosaic Select. In my view, the Mosaic follows a more audiophile approach by going back to the master without reverb.

- Chet Baker "Chet is back" sounds duller and more distant than the BMG "First edition" CD reissue, which seems to have been made from better tapes. It's good on it's own, but not worth an upgrade over the CD.

Apart from these problems with the master tapes they used, the mastering quality is very good, just as the pressing quality.

Edited by Claude

I'd forgot I had that one, a bit like the Booker, it strikes me as a good transfer on perfect vinyl , just not sure the original recording is good enough to justify the outlay, as with Booker the PP editions are only ones, of these sessions, that I've heard.

Thanks - I'll proceed with caution then. The original Candid monos can sound very good indeed.

I like most of them, especially the Candid reissues (since lots of Candid CD releases sound poor), but I had issues with a few releases, because of the choice of master tapes:

- Gil Evans "New bootles old wine" uses the LP master, which has lots of added reverb. The artificial reverb sounds quite natural, but it's distracting after having heard the dry recording which is on the Gil Evans Mosaic Select. In my view, the Mosaic follows a more audiophile approach by going back to the master without reverb.

Didn't know that a Gil Evans Mosaic Select existed.

Edited by paul secor