Jon Hassell

7/4

There's trumpet on ALL tracks. Hassell has a unique way of playing and processes his trumpet electronically.

See my comments in post 17.

edit: listen to Fascinoma if you're confused, that's just his acoustic horn.

dB

Hmmm.....not sure why you're quoting me here. I was responding to another poster who had commented that there was trumpet on the last three tracks. I was simply pointing out that there is trumpet on all of the tracks. I think the quoting system confused things. Anyway, just wanted to try to straighten out the communication here.

bigtiny

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Jon Hassell converted me to free jazz - by accident. Back in the day I bought a copy of the Earthquake Island LP, since I knew Hassell from his work with Eno on Possible Musics and I knew Eno from his work with Fripp and Bowie (pay attention here). That LP was shaped like a bowl you could have kept your petunias in it with enough water for a week so I returned it (in any case I don't rate it) and picked up a copy of James Blood Ulmer's Freelancing which I had just seen slated in Black Echoes as over-intellectual. I thought I'd give it a chance. I was quite taken and worked my way back through the Ulmer catalog in reverse, until I got to Tales of Captain Black with Ornette. Some of the best-recorded Ornette, probably, and maybe some of his most carefully phrased playing? I dunno but from there on out it was free jazz for me.

Oh the other Hassell LP I picked up at the same time (1981 being the year) was Dream Theory in Malaya (has there evere been a better album title?). My favorite I guess. It was some years before Hassell did another one and by then I'd moved on. I've caught up since but don't honestly find much aesthetically different in the more recent works to the early ones which of course had all the magic of originality and mystery in those days.

Apologies to bev for any copyright infringement on nostalgic LP narratives! ;)

The new one is as good as the best by him: Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street.

This is my first Jon Hassell, it took a bit of time to dig into it but now I love it. Think I will pick up the recent ECM Touchstone release of Power Spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Beware of Earthquake Island.

Strongly disagree here. Just listened to it the other day and it fits quite well within the whole Hassell ouvre. You also forgot to mention 'Dressing for Pleasure' which I consider to be even funkier than 'Citi: Works of Fiction'.

bigtiny

I have a friend who likes to burn me obscure OOP cd-r's and I was doing some house cleaning and found Dressing for Pleasure in a stack of stuff I was about to toss out. I put it on and was blown away. What a great yet strange funky back beat pre-trip hop record. It will probably never see a re-release but well worth tracking down.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

enjoyed my first hassell - City: Works Of Fiction

what next david?

:cool:

The new one is as good as the best by him: Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street.

I recently listened to this one for the first time (I bought it from the now-extinct yourmusic.com a long time ago). Wonderful record. Probably not for those who want "jazz".

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...