This 1928 show band,The Capitolians, is very 1928

Larry Kart

Really enjoyed that - thanks again, Larry.

Does anyone know what the second violin soloist was using as a bow?

The second violin soloist seems to have things set up so that the hairs of his bow meet the strings of the violin from beneath the strings rather than from above -- this probably was accomplished by undoing the bow hairs beforehand, running them under the strings, and then reattaching them to the bow. The first violin soloist is playing with "one hair," however that's done.

I don't do Facebook either. Googling "Capitolians" yielded this, which, based on the other descriptions, appears to be the clip in question: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...-capitoli_music

The Facebook page insists that I log in.

I don't do Facebook.

Any workarounds?

That's it. Also, looking at the clip again, I see that my account above of what the second violinist is doing makes no sense. Finally, what the heck is going on with Jimmy Lytell's hips during "A Blues Serenade"?

Really enjoyed that - thanks again, Larry.

Does anyone know what the second violin soloist was using as a bow?

The second violin soloist seems to have things set up so that the hairs of his bow meet the strings of the violin from beneath the strings rather than from above -- this probably was accomplished by undoing the bow hairs beforehand, running them under the strings, and then reattaching them to the bow. The first violin soloist is playing with "one hair," however that's done.

That makes sense. I wonder if the first soloist is using a piece of wire - the sound he's producing seems metallic to me.

That was the first sentence of "The Go-Between" by English novelist L. P. Hartley:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Did that book become the basis for the Joseph Losey-directed film of the same name?

That was the first sentence of "The Go-Between" by English novelist L. P. Hartley:

Did that book become the basis for the Joseph Losey-directed film of the same name?

Also, the first violinist to me doesn't look like he's using a bow per se. It looks like it he lets go of the string after each pull, moves his hand up, gathers string higher up (closer to the strings), and pulls down again. This would seem feasible if there were something like a spool of string above the strings somewhere. It also sound metallic to me, but wire would make it harder to do what I just described.

Also, the first violinist to me doesn't look like he's using a bow per se. It looks like it he lets go of the string after each pull, moves his hand up, gathers string higher up (closer to the strings), and pulls down again. This would seem feasible if there were something like a spool of string above the strings somewhere. It also sound metallic to me, but wire would make it harder to do what I just described.

Yes, the Losey film is based on the novel.

Your account of what the first violinist is doing makes sense to me.