Jazz Clubs in Miami?

robviti

howdy folks. my brother will be in miami two weeks from now and he asked me if i knew of any jazz clubs in the city. i'm not certain, but i think arturo sandoval's place is still closed for renovations. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by robviti

as far as van dyke's goes, featured performers' descriptions that include "smooth jazz,""high-energy world fusion," and "soulful and sophisticated tone with music that is contemporary and fresh" don't sound very promising to me.

Edited by robviti

My instinct would tell me to stay away from any joint owned by that hack Arturo Sandoval.

The reality is that Sandoval's club brought in far and away the best talent to visit south Florida outside of the one-offs that are booked by the handful of Jazz "societies" that exist.

Right, Dan.

It was book by a guy ( whose name I can't remember) who was based in Boston, if I remember right.

Jazz is a tough business proposition.

by any chance, was that guy fenton hollander?

Nope, but I found the information, for what it's worth:

Frank Vardaros

Talent Buyer

For Bookings and Public Relations

1209 Saxon Blvd, Suite 7, Orange City, FL 32763

i wonder if my brother would be better off seeing some good latin music?

I'll join him for that! I got big eyes for anything Latino. Why else would an inveterate reed player go out and buy some bongos, a cowbell and a temple block, hee hee.

One of the delights of house is that you often get Latino rhythms, such as samba, tango and bossa nova, and they regularly use Latin percussion. There is even a song called "I Need More Cowbell".