Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

Recent correspondence between me and eremite records, beginning with me:

Below is a post from the Jazz Corner as to rumored upcoming eremite releases. Can you provide information as to whether or not what follows is true and if so, when these titles might be released?  (I'm not sure if Parker's 'Mayfield' project is an eremite project.)  Thank you!

Jazzcorner: I'm looking forward to the Eremite 'Ensemble Muntu' box set, and William Parker's Curtis Mayfield project (the group for "Raining on the Moon" plus Dave Burrell on piano, and Amiri Baraka offsetting Leena Conquest's vocals). Neither has a release date yet, as far as I know...

hi' tony,

no release dates set for muntu box or parker mayfield project.  could be a while...  there will be some new eremite releases by october, '04, just not these (quite yet?).

thanks for your interest.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Care to give a sneak preview as to those October releases?

Tony

two volumes of sunny murray recordings from '02 & '03 tours, w/ silva, mateen, dave burrell, oluyemi thomas, parker, etc. new brotzmann/drake/parker trio, brotzmann/bennink duo on 'bro' records. 

for

starters.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I checked with Eremite about the Bennink/Brötzmann and it is an LP-only release, unfortunately.

I think all releases on Bro are lp only at this point. I still want to hear the Brotz/Walter Perkins release on Bro that was released last year.

I checked with Eremite about the Bennink/Brötzmann and it is an LP-only release, unfortunately.

I think all releases on Bro are lp only at this point. I still want to hear the Brotz/Walter Perkins release on Bro that was released last year.

Me too!

I asked Eremite whether there is a plan to reissue brö releases on CD, and they said they are not considering it at the moment. What's the fucking point in LP-only releases? If I see Brötzmann live, I will complain to him.

I asked Eremite whether there is a plan to reissue brö releases on CD, and they said they are not considering it at the moment. What's the fucking point in LP-only releases? If I see Brötzmann live, I will complain to him.

I have the same question about the limited edition Okkadisk releases. The Brotz/Kessler/Drake Empty Bottle cd is fantastic, but went out of print a long time ago and will not be repressed. The Atlanta Concert, with Brotz, Drake and Fred Hopkins is vinyl only and is also extremely limited. A lot of people who are discovering this music "too late" will never have a chance to hear these or, if they get a burned copy, the artists will get no money from it.

If anybody rememberrs King Ubu's recent post about a Stanko broadcast -

I've managed to get transferred to CDR an equally magnificent (if not more so )broadcast by Hancock / Shorter / Holland / Blade recorded in London .

70 Mins - 5 Tunes excellently reconstructed . Its not 'Funny Rat' but if you like the Stanko broadcast you will enjoy this .

Pm if youd like a copy

I've managed to get transferred to CDR an equally magnificent (if not more so )broadcast by Hancock / Shorter / Holland / Blade recorded in London .

70 Mins - 5 Tunes excellently reconstructed . Its not 'Funny Rat' but if you like the Stanko broadcast you will enjoy this .

Pm if youd like a copy

Hey, once I have that MD here, I can offer CDRs to the rats! Same goes for the Stanko. Just be patient!

Check out this one here:

post-19-1090410108.jpg

available for free download here.

Pretty good stuff!

Here's the write up I posted some hours ago over in the listening right now thread:

A good 40min set of rather free, yet often very melodic music, by Markus Breuss (tp etc), Pelayo Arrizabalaga (as,bcl), Tsukiko Amakawa (p), Miguel Rodriguez (b ), Javier Carmona (d), recorded live in Madrid in 2002. It's on hazard records, for those too lazy (and well-off) to search for the mp3s... good stuff, I might add!

I never heard of these guys, but as it was available for free download, I boldly went ahead :w , and came to the decision it was well worth it! A pleasant surprise!

Took this one with me from the radio station, too:

blcd760200.jpg

Have listened to it once (only the trio tracks with Alteena and Bennink, not yet the two duos with Leo Smith), and LOVE it!

Great playing by all three, and Brown is simply fantastic! Have nothing of him, except for the "Three For Shepp" disc (which I like very very much, too).

Here's a very nice Brown site (took the cover from there, too):

http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~schneide/mar...rion_brown.html

ubu

I've managed to get transferred to CDR an equally magnificent (if not more so )broadcast  by Hancock / Shorter / Holland / Blade recorded in London .

Pm if youd like a copy

Hey, once I have that MD here, I can offer CDRs to the rats! Same goes for the Stanko. Just be patient!

Sorry , I hope you dont feel I was trying to step on your toes .

I've managed to get transferred to CDR an equally magnificent (if not more so )broadcast   by Hancock / Shorter / Holland / Blade recorded in London .

Pm if youd like a copy

Sorry , I hope you dont feel I was trying to step on your toes .

No no, not at all! It's just that I believe you and I are the only ones here with a Minidisc-player!

Check that link I posted above! I really like those spanish guys!

ubu

cover for upcoming disc, created by unknown "artist"  ;)

oh! the horror!!!!

;)

I find it's in perfect correspondence with the music, futhermore, that "artist" did this without me having to reimburse, as it only took like five minutes... :D

Submit your proposal anytime! I'm having so many discs around with no covers that I hardly see when I'll come around doing "serious" ones!

ubu

the best thing is that it is at once obvious that this particular "artist" does not have to pay his own ink. Otherwise he'd come up with some more whitish designs.

:rhappy:

the "artist" in question had to hit one button to change white into black and vice versa... and he IS paying himself, by the way. However, one printout of the artwork will be enough. If you feel the need to plaster, say, your whole kitchen (it's good for marriage to change the color of the walls, now and then B) ), it might indeed be good to change the color back again, by hitting that button once more... only then, the kitchen would still be white, and marriage far from safe...

ubu :lol:

After some strange non-rat-stuff (Artie Shaw, Predrag Ivanovic, Glenn Miller), back to more ratty things:

Finished a first complete, and more or less concentrated listen to this one:

hal_painting250.jpg

Hal Russell's Chemical Feast - Elixir (Atavistic Unheard)

It's very good, in my humble opinion! Recorded live in March 1979 in Chicago, this captures Russell right before he made the switch, or rather: started to as well play, the tenor sax. He's on drums on all but two tracks, on tenor on one, and on amplified bowed zither on one. The other musicians are Mars Williams and Spider Middleman (never heard him before!) on various saxophones, George Southgate on vibes (and drums on that track where Russell is on tenor), and Russ Ditusa on bass. Tracks played are Ornette's "Broadway Blues" and "Airbornes", Dave Holland's "Four Winds", as well as two each by Russell and Williams. Williams' "March of the Cellulite Goddess" (what a title!) stands out as being the most humorous track, sort of a, well, as the title says: march.

Much of it is in the high energy "trad." free jazz vein, but very very good! Some moments almost sound like the few things of the Brötz Tentet I have heard - and these are only five musicians!

This disc is part of the "Hal Russell Archive" (Volume One) - does anyone know if further volumes are going to follow? It came out in 2001, and it's still the only one, as far as I know. The notes (by John Corbett) state that "when he [Hal Russell] died, he left a cache of hundreds of recordings in the care of his right-hand man, saxophonist Mars Williams. These extraordinary tapes provide an incomplete survey of Russell's pre-NRG career (as well as the lesser known NRG years) and over the course of time the Unheard Music Series intends to make the most arresting and significant of these available to the public."

Hope they will continue to do so!!!

Now giving another spin to the great disc Sudori by Pino Minafra. A very good one! On the Canadian label Victo. Featuring Carlo Actis Dato, Lauro Rossi, Giorgio Occhipinti, Daniele Patumi and Vincenzo Mazzone, sort of an "Instabile +"-line up, and a good one!

ubu

Just finished listening to this one:

azurety.gif

It's pretty good! Not as funny and loose as Anderson (and Bennink) sometimes get. There's an almost Ellingtonian touch to some tracks (not only the fabulous "Squeeze Me", but also the beautiful title track "Azurety"). Gotta listen to it again soon - like it!

Now listening to:

cheerup.gif

ubu

I think Anderson's quite possibly the most deeply Ellingtonian musician now working. Try "Star-Crossed Lovers" on Bonemeal for instance.

Incidentally when Anderson played a concert a while back he announced "Azurety" as "Platelets"--I asked him about it & if I remember rightly he said he changed the title to avoid confusion with someone else's tune or album-title. I assume that just as "Azurety" alludes to "Azure", "Platelets" alludes to Strayhorn's "Blood Count".

Edited by Nate Dorward

Oh, I didn't get the song-titles' allusions - of course "Azure" came to mind, but somehow I didn't associate anything with it... Also I didn't know there really are connection of Anderson's to the music of Ellington, only felt like it when I listened. "Cheer Up" is as good as "Azurety", and Anderson himself never fails to astonish! His sound is so beautiful, and he's got a huge range on the trombone!

Now onto something else: "Plié" (Intakt 037) by the Zentralquartett: Conrad Bauer, Uli Gumpert, Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky, Günter Sommer.

Great stuff, for sure! I think I still prefer the other of their Intakts I have, the self-titled one (Intakt 069). Got to get the other someday (Intakt 050, "Careless Love").

ubu

There's so much in the music of the Zentralquartett! Abdullah Ibrahim, african horns styled playing by Petrowsky, great blues playing, free eruptive stuff, polka-like eastern-infused things... they beat me everytime I listen to them!

Anyone else has any of their albums?

ubu

Guest Chaney

Hey wazzup? Where are my fellow rats? Feels like I'm talking to myself  :wacko:

Hi!

(Been too busy at work to look in very often and my home computer isn't feeling well.)

Been listening to four recently received Evander Music* releases: Jettison Slinky: Dank Side of the Morn; Todd Sikafoose Group: Dogs Outside; Phillip Greenlief Solo: Stalking Andrei; and Phillip Greenlief / Trevor Dunn: Duo.

All are really very good although, as I haven't listened to them on my home system yet, I can't say more right now.

* Buying Evander releases directly from Evander / Greenlief proves unwise. While Phillip is a very nice guy**, he tends to take a looooong time in filling orders - as he's often on the road - and he managed to leave out two sets I had ordered. (Both are on the way, though).

** Sent two freebies due to the length of time to fill my order. :tup

Hi!

Well, Hi! It's me again ;)

Downloaded some stuff from the Atavistic website - listened to the Fred Anderson and some of the McPhee samples, so far, and am looking forward to hearing the Brötzles samples and more - some very good stuff available there!

The only releases I have are a couple of the UMS (one of the McPhees, "Trinity", and the Hal Russell I just mentioned).

Will have to order a lot from their releases, some fine day! Do they go OOP? Fast? Let's hope not!

ubu