Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Good news from the Atavistic newsletter!

schiano_waiting_alp235-250.jpg(UMS235CD) $13.00

Mario Schiano's 1973 nonet opus, originally released on King Records! Schiano is one of the founding figures of free music in Italy, an intense and often uproariously funny alto saxophonist, bandleader and high-conceptualist who has been spreading his own postmodern eclecticism since the early '60s. Later in that decade, Schiano co-founded Gruppo Romano Free Jazz, and he's been the Godfather of free music in Italy ever since.

Recorded in Rome in 1973, On The Waiting-List is one of the rarest items in Schiano's extensive - and by-and-large impossible to find- discography. Originally released on the King Universal label, from Naples, and produced by Toni Cosenza, it is virtually unknown outside of its homeland (mighty obscure there, too...). An outstanding creative jazz outing, the record features Schiano on alto as well as organ and voice (on the extra-outre track "All It Takes"), with other luminaries of the Italian jazz scene, including bassist Bruno Tommaso and trombonist Giancarlo Schiaffini, the other two co-founders of Gruppo Romano Free Jazz. If you can conjure an “Art Ensemble of Italy” in your mind's ear, this is what it might sound like: straightahead tunes are twisted into unexpected shapes like a balloon artist in the park, a bossa-nova goes awry, sweet songs are given sinister solos.

On The Waiting-List comes packaged with the original, outlandish B&W photo of don Schiano. Fear not, jazz fans: the waiting is over.

Anyone knows it? My only Schiano is the LP "Rendez-vous" where he sits in with the Rivers-Holland-Altschul trio. They do, among other things, an outlandishly beautiful version of "Lover Man".

Other than that only some Schiano on that Instabile Festival disc.

ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey who of you crooks ordered the Rivers/Schlippenbach and the Bernstein with Rivers and was faster than me?

Not I , but I will be one of the first in the queue for tickets when he plays in a venue near me on Nov12th.

Edited by Gary

Hey who of you crooks ordered the Rivers/Schlippenbach and the Bernstein with Rivers and was faster than me?

Not I , but I will be one of the first in the queue for tickets when he plays in a venue near me on Nov12th.

Wow! I'd love to see him!

Some shitty shitte happened over there in the O&LF section, but it's over now. Lèse-majesté... I was too lazy to also post a reply, and instead only sent a PM, and that PM was not read until after others had replied (my PM was half a day earlier...)

Stoopid king!

Gary, in what line up will you see Rivers? With that Bernstein group?

ubu

Good news from the Atavistic newsletter!

schiano_waiting_alp235-250.jpg(UMS235CD) $13.00

Mario Schiano's 1973 nonet opus, originally released on King Records! Schiano is one of the founding figures of free music in Italy, an intense and often uproariously funny alto saxophonist, bandleader and high-conceptualist who has been spreading his own postmodern eclecticism since the early '60s. Later in that decade, Schiano co-founded Gruppo Romano Free Jazz, and he's been the Godfather of free music in Italy ever since.

Recorded in Rome in 1973, On The Waiting-List is one of the rarest items in Schiano's extensive - and by-and-large impossible to find- discography. Originally released on the King Universal label, from Naples, and produced by Toni Cosenza, it is virtually unknown outside of its homeland (mighty obscure there, too...). An outstanding creative jazz outing, the record features Schiano on alto as well as organ and voice (on the extra-outre track "All It Takes"), with other luminaries of the Italian jazz scene, including bassist Bruno Tommaso and trombonist Giancarlo Schiaffini, the other two co-founders of Gruppo Romano Free Jazz. If you can conjure an “Art Ensemble of Italy” in your mind's ear, this is what it might sound like: straightahead tunes are twisted into unexpected shapes like a balloon artist in the park, a bossa-nova goes awry, sweet songs are given sinister solos.

On The Waiting-List comes packaged with the original, outlandish B&W photo of don Schiano. Fear not, jazz fans: the waiting is over.

Anyone knows it? My only Schiano is the LP "Rendez-vous" where he sits in with the Rivers-Holland-Altschul trio. They do, among other things, an outlandishly beautiful version of "Lover Man".

Other than that only some Schiano on that Instabile Festival disc.

ubu

Never heard of this one but it sounds very interesting. UMS is releasing some nice titles again.

Hey who of you crooks ordered the Rivers/Schlippenbach and was faster than me?  :rmad:

:w

Actually, no one was really faster than me, but that has become quite a long and lame story by now... (this just to correct my original post)

Don't know the Schiano either, but it sounds very very good!

ubu

I havent seen a line up just yet all in Jazzwise this month it has the dates & the following -

'He will appear on tour in November with a trio & a specially recruited big band players such as Jason Yarde & Tony Kofi '

I havent seen a line up just yet all in Jazzwise this month it has the dates & the following -

'He will appear on tour in November with a trio & a specially recruited big band players such as Jason Yarde & Tony Kofi '

Sounds interesting! Hope he'll make it my way, too!

Me again B)

Just picked up used copies of CT's Akisakila Vol. 2 and One Too Many Salty Swift... for less than 15$! Nice find, I think!

Can someone help me with the contents of Akisakila 1? I guess it's OOP, right? Or at least pretty hard to find.

ubu

Me again  B)

Just picked up used copies of CT's Akisakila Vol. 2 and One Too Many Salty Swift... for less than 15$! Nice find, I think!

Can someone help me with the contents of Akisakila 1? I guess it's OOP, right? Or at least pretty hard to find.

ubu

Ubu, it's (almost) all there.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/mtaylors.html

Have the whole of Akisakila on vinyl but you can trace what is not on that vol. 2 you got on that site.

Me again  B)

ubu

Ubu, it's (almost) all there.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/mtaylors.html

Have the whole of Akisakila on vinyl but you can trace what is not on that vol. 2 you got on that site.

Thanks, brownie! Somehow I keep forgetting that site! And now you mention it, there's even a second CT discography online, somewhere... lazy me -_-

Listened to this one while having dinner (obviously without Ms. ubu :w ):

503b.gif

And yes, for me it clearly is :tup

Will have to listen some more, but I like it a lot!

Now half way through:

B00000I73R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Some beautiful stuff on it! That Tribute to Lester is really moving!

ubu

New Drimala releases.

From the Drimala newsletter:

Let Them Pass (laissez-passer) featuring Montreal-based drummer John Heward in his first recording as leader with longtime associates Joe Giardullo (tenor, flute, bass clarinet) and Mike Bisio (bass). The music flow effortlessly from the Middle East-East European model traditions to a simple American blues form....quiet, yet powerful. As All About Jazz says, "Let Them Pass transmits a deep sense of intellectual reflection, musical interaction, and human honesty." More at: http://www.drimala.com/title/let_them_pass.html

PLAY continuing Drimala Record's exploration of the art of the duet. This recording reunites pianist Michael Jefry Stevens with former Mosaic Sextet band mate Michael Rabinowitz on bassoon (bassoon!!!!). The music is open, powerful, graceful, and reflective....always with an ear towards the possible without forgetting the past. More at: http://www.drimala.com/title/play.html

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<oooooooooooooooooooooooo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now you can enjoy all the Drimala catalogue through digital downloads in all your favorite formats directly from our website. Just go to http://www.drimala.com and click on the Digital Storefront.

Guest Chaney

Gentlemen and ladies, a highly recommended disk, available on Evander Records:

ZenWidow.jpg

zen widow.  character or koan?

to wonder.  to wander.  little cries.  little questions.

fill the spaces if the spaces are filled.

so ofter they're  not.  they're  just spaces.

and all the more telling for it.

there are quiet stirrings.  faint percussive rattles.

tortured reedy tones.  an imperceptible shimmer

slowly grows to evoke fog and distant bells.

a flutes  lonely muse seems less a folksong than

a tentative whistle in an uncertain ghostly world.

exquisite miniatures.

horn honks.  sax squaks.  scraped bats.  saw sighs.

abrupt.  quirky.  insistent.  focused.

a question.  a query.      character or koan?

this trio is a marvelous construct.  blessed with real character and always just the next moment away from creating more delicious riddles.  they marshal an incredible diversity of sounds, both real and implied, intio tightly focused gems which are never less than fascinating and strangely perfect.  possessed of a natural fire and remarkable sense of intuition this collection is a singular testament to the virtues of deep listening and the practice of instant composition when in the able care of three master improvising musicians.

zen widow.  all into one.  no dichotomy.  no division

truly of the moment.

Brad Winter

August 2003

Gianni Gebbia: alto saxophone, flute

Matthew Goodheart: drums, percussion, soprano saw, car horns

Garth Powell: grand piano, prepared piano, air horn

(Sadly, no balloons.)

Can't recommend this one highly enough.

I'd strongly suggest that orders be placed... now.

Garth.jpggebbia.jpg

Coimbra.jpg

Edited by Chaney

Has anyone here listened to the Willem Breuker Kollektief's In Holland album? I hadn't listened to this one in quite some time and had forgotten how much I enjoy this. It is a fantastic disc, superior to any of the ICP discs I have heard, imo. I have yet to listen to any other Breuker as a leader, and I have heard that many of his discs are inferior to this one, but I would not hesitate to say that In Holland is essential listening for all on Funny Rat.

Listening now to: Jelly Roll Morton Classics 1923-1924

oooooops, wrong thread  :P

Funny Rat is an equal opportunity thread.

I have to admit, I have never listened to Jelly Roll.

does he sound like Herr Broetzmann? :unsure:

As far as I know, Morton was influenceda lot by later-period Sun Ra Arkestra.

-----------------------------------------

Tony, I think you are pulling the Funny Rat leg - Zen Widow is a philosophical concept of something that is mysteriously irresistably attractive but can never be attained in reality - there is no way you could actually have received it in physical format of a CD...

Goodheart plays piano and Powell plays drums, as far as I know, but they could have exchanged names for this release.

As for ordering these CDs (NOW), please keep in mind's Tony's experience of buying directly from Evander.

Older Evander releases are avialable from http://www.indiejazz.com/, who proved to be quite reliable - so if we are persistent enough they will stock the new Evander releases as well.

Listening now to: Jelly Roll Morton Classics 1923-1924

oooooops, wrong thread  :P

Funny Rat is an equal opportunity thread.

I have to admit, I have never listened to Jelly Roll.

does he sound like Herr Broetzmann? :unsure:

Well, I got his RCA 5CD set when it hit the running low list on the Trueblue site. I think it's still there, if not, it has been there for years - I got mine years ago... and haven't listened yet through it all. That Classics I got for 5$ at a used shop, but it's new. Had to go for it. There's some funny kazoo, and - more important - some pretty cool solo piano sides, of course all in awful sound, but very interesting, and often rhythmically daring, to say the least!

Now listening to the Rivers LP "Streams" (not mine, hélas!)

ubu

Guest Chaney

Goodheart plays piano and Powell plays drums, as far as I know, but they could have exchanged names for this release.

D'oh!

Gianni Gebbia: alto saxophone, flute

Matthew Goodheart: grand piano, prepared piano, air horn

Garth Powell: drums, percussion, soprano saw, car horns

Guest Chaney

This one sounds interesting. I will add it to the list.

Right now I am listening to William Parker - Painter's Spring, with Daniel Carter and Hamid Drake:

e19613wcch3.jpg

I really enjoy this album. Perhaps not as important as O'Neal's Porch (which will be playing next) but very enjoyable. Great playing, nice tunes and a more relaxed mood than many of his other dates as a leader.

:tup