Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

As for Bobby Few, don't you find that he overplays a bit on this solo disc?

Perhaps, but not to any degree that bothers me. I may be cutting him some slack due to his lack of recordings for so many years. If he knew this set was going to be recorded and potentially released he could very well have been overly excited and tried to fit everything into his 45 minute set.

Either way, I dig this disc quite a bit.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Welcome back David!

I'll second John's request that you tell us all about your trip.

John: I own no Few.

Recommended:

brd049.jpg

Illuminations (Several Views) (Rastascan BRD 049)

Peter Kowald: contrabass

Miya Masaoka: 17- and 21-string kotos

Gino Robair: percussion, ebow snare, faux dax

Illuminations features the late German bassist Peter Kowald in a series of trio improvisations with San Francisco-based musicians Miya Masaoka and Gino Robair. The session took place during Kowald's extended US tour in 2000, which is documented in the film Off the Road. In fact, the documentary includes scenes from the studio session that spawned this CD release.

Recorded 26 April, 2000 by Myles Boisen at Guerrilla Recording. Cover art by Peter Kowald.

I'm going to be concentrating on the RASTASCAN catalog as there seems to be a great many gems to be discovered. It's also very nice doing business with label owner (and excellent musician) Gino Robair.

Guest Chaney

Wonderful playing on Illuminations. Kowald plays HUGE, Masaoka displays a welcome gentleness -- although, that may be due to her instrument (koto). It'd be hard to imagine a koto sounding very aggressive. Robair is his ususal wonderful self, throwing all sorts of mysterious percussive sounds at the listener.

Best of all: they play as one.

Be forewarned though that there is a bit (two tunes) of odd vocalizing by Kowald. I don't mind it but some might.

A real mixed cast for this one but I must say: I really like the whole San Francisco Bay area vibe.

Guest Chaney

... The bonus disc Gino sent me when I ordered Arcana Major was quite nice.  I'll have to post a review of it one of these days.

On my first order, Gino sent me a bonus copy of MASAOKA . NUNN . ROBAIR: Crepuscular Music

:tup

... The bonus disc Gino sent me when I ordered Arcana Major was quite nice.  I'll have to post a review of it one of these days.

On my first order, Gino sent me a bonus copy of MASAOKA . NUNN . ROBAIR: Crepuscular Music

:tup

yeah, that's the one I received, too.

I've been relistening to a few William Hooker cds I bought a few years back after reading an article on him in an issue of Signal to Noise. Today's selection is Mindfulness, with DJ Olive and Glenn Spearman.

c97740y1g75.jpg

DJ Olive doesn't really add anything interesting to the proceedings, in my opinion. He/she is responsible for some "spooky sounds" now and then, but none of it really has much to do with what Spearman and Hooker are doing. This would have worked better as a Spearman / Hooker duo session, as I really enjoy Spearman's playing and Hooker is fairly interesting. I'm not sure what it is, but none of Hooker's albums have ever blown me away. Is anyone else here familiar with his work?

(edit) - I also could do without Hooker's spoken word interludes, and Olive is sounding more and more amateurish, to my ears. The Spearman / Hooker sections are nice but, overall, I am tempted to get rid of this disc.

Edited by John B

Hooker is fairly interesting. I'm not sure what it is, but none of Hooker's albums have ever blown me away. Is anyone else here familiar with his work?

Exactly my feeling regarding Hooker. I have several Hooker CDs, and while they cover a really wide ground and have some interesitng moments, none of them really grabbed me, and some of them were downright annoying. Also his drumming itself is not exactly spectacular - good, but nothing outstanding or particularly original IMO.

-----------------------

Tony, I will order this Kowald Rastascan CD. Kowald is THE MAN (even when he sings), and I liked most of the Masaoka works I've heard (particulalry the fantastic Fly Fly Fly on Intakt with Larry Ochs and Joan Jeanrenaud.

-----------------------

Tony, if you want to hear somewhat harsh koto, here is a disc for you: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=LeoLab_055 ... although I probably would advice against.

Guest Chaney

Tony, if you want to hear somewhat harsh koto, here is a disc for you: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=LeoLab_055 ... although I probably would advice against.

Actually, I have that one! I bought it (along with you, I think) during that Berkshire Record Outlet sale. I'll have to give it another spin. (I don't believe it's in my GET THIS CRAP OUT OF HERE pile so that's a pretty good sign.)

Listened to this one today:

B00008MOV5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pretty boring, no? Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I don't think I'll really love this one. Robinson is cool, but other than that....

Then:

B00005UVZF.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Better, but a bit too nice, and not really ratty enough... will see. Will have to listen to both of them again, soon.

David, welcome back! I won't complain about having to wait for FREE MUSIC, of course! Got the Guy, but not yet on CD, didn't forget the Stanko - is there more I promised? Check the Gumpert soon!

ubu

By the way, that black one above is Henry Grimes' ESP album (with Perry Robinson and some boring drummer).

Had a listen to this one:

B0000060P8.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's ok. The electric guitar doesn't bother me, but then the whole band sounds tired, Williams included. Jeb Bishop's trombone workouts are the most attention-grabbing things on this, I think.

Then, for a change of pace, and a sure value, went with this:

B0000TWM2K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A great one! Great poised Booker Little, some GREAT George Coleman, a few nice Ray Draper spots (he made a huge step from that Coltrane date to this one!), and then there's the Max, of course... sadly, it's a very short one, but then, there's other fine Roach discs of this vintage...

ubu

Just read the enthusiastic thread on Atomic's "Boom Boom" disc - will definitely give "Feet Music" a spin again soon.

Right now, I'm travelling back in time a bit with:

B000002ADP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I urge you all, my dearest friends, to get that disc yesterday, rather than today!

What a great, warm, joyful album!

ubu

A great one! Great poised Booker Little, some GREAT George Coleman, a few nice Ray Draper spots (he made a huge step from that Coltrane date to this one!), and then there's the Max, of course... sadly, it's a very short one, but then, there's other fine Roach discs of this vintage...

Ray Draper's tuba playing is exactly the reason why I sold this album.

Listening to Prokofiev's Symphony No. 2 form the monster 24-CD Prokofiev Fiftieth Anniversary Edition - what a powerful stuff!

Also received today the freshly-pressed Sergey Kuryokhin's "Some Comination of Fingers and Passion" from Leo records - will listen over the weekend.

Ray Draper's tuba playing is exactly the reason why I sold this album.

Well, I guess Little on "Old Folks" alone makes me never sell it!

I can understand having reservations against Draper, but then, the first disc I heard him on was that BN/Roulette one which had his whole album with Trane, as well as the four earliest Trane quartet tracks (I think it's called "Like Sonny", and goes as a Coltrane disc). There, he is extremely weak - I really feel tempted to ask why the hell did someone give him a record date? Just for the gimmick? A skinny small teenager with an old beat-up tuba on the cover... well, that was the other album, but...)

This disc was my third encounter with Draper (he also is on "Deeds, Not Words" by Roach, right? Only listened to that once so far), and he is very much better than on that date of his with Trane. However, Hentoff quotes Roach in the liners, talking about how Draper "will" develop, and "will have to" build chops, all in future tense...

ubu

Right now, I'm travelling back in time a bit with:

Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy

I urge you all, my dearest friends, to get that disc yesterday, rather than today!

What a great, warm, joyful album!

€8 at amazon.de! - no brainer...

How about this one?:

Satch Plays Fats

B00004TL2E.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

From DMG newsletter:

...David S. Ware Quartet will have a triple live CD out on Thirsty be the end of the year with three different drummers - Susie Ibarra, Guillermo Brown and Hamid Drake.

:( Please don't mention Ms. Ibarra or ubu might do one of those Funny Rat Babe Thread things again! Or worse yet, he'll add a large pic of Susie to his already bloated signature line!! :excited:

:D

Gentlemen and ladies, a highly recommended disk, available on Evander Records:

ZenWidow.jpg

Gianni Gebbia: alto saxophone, flute

Matthew Goodheart: grand piano, prepared piano, air horn

Garth Powell: drums, percussion, soprano saw, car horns

(Sadly, no balloons.)

Can't recommend this one highly enough.

I'd strongly suggest that orders be placed... now.

Oh yes.

More later.

Edited by Д.Д.