Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carlos Zingaro & Peggy Lee - Western Front Vancouver 1996

Let us know what you think of this one - ubu and I have been enjoying it a lot.

Just see PEGGY LEE Monday with LARRY OCHS and MIYA MASAOKA in concert.

They play great music, mostly comming from their new CD on INTAKT (title?) with PEGGY LEE as a substitude to JOAN JEANRENAUD.

If you like WESTERN FRONT, let me recommend you what I considere to be the best CARLOS ZINGARO: SOLO (undertitle is AVRIL 1989 MONASTERE DES JERONIMOS LISBONNE) on the label IN SITU.

Thirteen pieces recorded in a fantastic acoustic (I always used this records, among few others, to test HIFI material) wit a ZINGARO at the pick of his talent and inspiration. Beautiful.

Edited by P.L.M

John, I bought the album for you.

Please email me your address.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Geoff -

email sent. I'll place your order now.

I spent my very last penny getting the album for you.

I might be a week or so before I can save enough money to post the album.

I'll try to get it to you as soon as possible.

So much for being an unemployed full time university student that has absoutely no money in the bank.

Oh, Intuitive Structures is OK. Not great, mind you, but OK.  I liked the louder bits with Norton on the kit, the vibes stuff less so.  Belognis is pretty good on it, though.  I still don't really like Ulrich very much though.

Dunmall...well, one of these days, maybe.  He's someone I neither collect nor avoid.

You sound very indulgent Nate.

I like NORTON very much and I find BELOGENIS to be a very good post-Coltrane tenor (I listen often to his duet with RASHIED ALI, RINGS OF SATURN who is his best record to date), but this INTUITIVE STRUCTURE is fairly a routine to my ear and one to which I'm sure I will certainly never go back.

PAUL DUNMALL is much a "hit and miss" musician (but always a generous one.)

I like him most with MUJICIAN (a great band who is underestimate, IMO) in which he is, beside Keith Tippett, the driving force.

Edited by P.L.M

an update from Dennis Gonzalez:

The other bit of news is that today I sent off the tapes and artwork for the next daagnimRecords CD from Dennis Gonzalez's Inspiration Band (bassist Henry Grimes's first recording since coming back to the world of jazz, along with Roy Campbell, Jr. on trumpets and flute; Mike Thompson on drums; and Sabir Mateen on reeds and flute!).

Hmm... I will probably go for it (I am really curious to hear Henry Grimes), but Sabir Mateen's presence does not inspire me.

Got news from Leo Feigin - Some Combination of Fingers and Passion will be reissued soon.

an update from Dennis Gonzalez: 

The other bit of news is that today I sent off the tapes and artwork for the next daagnimRecords CD from Dennis Gonzalez's Inspiration Band (bassist Henry Grimes's first recording since coming back to the world of jazz, along with Roy Campbell, Jr. on trumpets and flute; Mike Thompson on drums; and Sabir Mateen on reeds and flute!).

Hmm... I will probably go for it (I am really curious to hear Henry Grimes), but Sabir Mateen's presence does not inspire me.

Got news from Leo Feigin - Some Combination of Fingers and Passion will be reissued soon.

John still has to buy it from me though :P

(I'm happy and honoured to have my 100th post in the funny rat thread!)

If you like WESTERN FRONT, let me recommend you what I considere to be the best CARLOS ZINGARO: SOLO (undertitle is AVRIL 1989 MONASTERE DES JERONIMOS LISBONNE) on the label IN SITU.

Thirteen pieces recorded in a fantastic acoustic (I always used this records, among few others, to test HIFI material) wit a ZINGARO at the pick of his talent and inspiration. Beautiful.

The problem is in situ stuff is impossible to find.

P.L.M., have you heard Zingaro/Lazro duo on Potlatch? - this one is mesmerizing -I haven't heard anything like this...

The problem is in situ stuff is impossible to find.

P.L.M., have you heard Zingaro/Lazro duo on Potlatch? - this one is mesmerizing -I haven't heard anything like this...

Try www.fnac.com (or fr)

They sell it once.

I know the POTLATCH and like it a lot but, to me, the mesmerizing session is these one, on IN SITU.

It's the first Zingaro I've ever heard, maybe it's the reason why (+ the pristine sound quality.)

Edited by P.L.M

Got Cecil's Nefertiti today (together with some Joe Henderson stuff) - bravo CDConnection!

Ubu, the import thing we discussed worked perfectly fine.

That's good to know!

Enjoy the Cecil!

I had two consecutive listens today to "It Is In The Brewing Luminous" - very very impressed! And I think the Lyons solo on the first part is one of his very best! Awesome music, for sure.

ubu

I had two consecutive listens today to "It Is In The Brewing Luminous" - very very impressed! And I think the Lyons solo on the first part is one of his very best! Awesome music, for sure.

ubu

Oh.......Heck.......YEAH!!!! :party:

But the coolest moment of all is on Lyons' second solo, toward the end, Lyons' blowing like a mother, and Taylor starts to pound those low notes on the piano. Just waaaaaaaaaay coooooooooooooooool!!!! B) B) B)

Edited by Matthew

ubu

Oh.......Heck.......YEAH!!!! :party:

But the coolest moment of all is on Lyons' second solo, toward the end, Lyons' blowing like a mother, and Taylor starts to pound those low notes on the piano. Just waaaaaaaaaay coooooooooooooooool!!!! B) B) B)

That's one of the grooviest moments in music, I think! Great indeed!

ubu

Nice releases from Polish Not Two lable:

http://www.nottwo.com/Plyty.php?Typ=NT&W=0&Od=

Glad to see that Sirone is active.

Also, how about Ornette's compositions performed by bass solo: http://www.nottwo.com/PelnaPlyta.php?Id=1&W=&Od=&Off=

Sirone is getting back together with Leroy Jenkins for the Revolutionary Ensemble Reunion at the Vision(s)(?) Music Festival!

Should be excellent, shame I'm in Australia :( since I would like to go to it.

Geoff, do you have foreign improv musicians coming often to Australia? I remember you posted your pictures of Parker, Dunmall and Kenny Wheeler, so looks somebody does manage to come - but how often it happens?

And how rich is your local imporv scene?

Geoff, do you have foreign improv musicians coming often to Australia? I remember you posted your pictures of Parker, Dunmall and Kenny Wheeler, so looks somebody does manage to come - but how often it happens?

And how rich is your local imporv scene?

ha!

I had to go to England to see Evan Parker/Paul Dunmall/Kenny Wheller!

Australia gets nothing.

The free jazz improv seen is pretty weak here in Sydney.

I want to go overseas.

Edited by Geoff

Leo Records updated the website with annotation for new releases: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&release=2004/04

All look good.

I'm especially interested in the Gratkowski, it certainly "looks" good, hopefully it will sound OK too.

This one is not bad, not bad at all. Porbably even better than Spectral Reflections...

New solo Paul Bley did not inspire me too much.

Terry Riley anyone?

I've been listening to recently-released double-CD Persian Surgery Dervishes (Felmay), and I've been vewry impressed. These are solo organ improvisations performed by Riley in early 70s. Dark mesmerizing stuff. Very good for long rides in the night or bad weather (I'll be probably listening to it on my way to Zurich tomorrow). And I never knew that Riley was such a mighty player!

More information here: http://www.felmay.it/6715en.html