Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Cripes! Just a few hours spent away from this place and joyous frivolity abounds! -- all led by that troublemaking Russian kid -- he with more hair on his head that any man really needs!

Old news: Jemeel Moondoc vtet: Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that there shouldn't be a person on this board who would not thoroughly enjoy this one? Plenty of in-the-pocket playing (thanks John) and tunes not so far out that even the stiffest poster (hmmm..., whom might that be) couldn't whine.

:tup

No, that would not be wrong at all! I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Aebi is overdubbed on at least one other recent Lacy disc, The Holy La.

They could do special limited editions: "funny rat edition: no aebi overdubs"...

ubu

That would be the karaoke version, right?

Is anyone here a fan of Time Berne? I have never been very impressed by his technical skill, but I have enjoyed each album of his that I have heard. Right now I am listening to Poisoned Minds: The Paris Concert, by his band Bloodcount. This disc was recorded live in 1994 and, on this recording, Bloodcount is Berne, Chris Speed on tenor and clarinet, Michael Formanek on contrabass, Jim Black on drums and Marc Ducret on electric guitar. I'm not crazy about Ducret's playing here, but the rest of the band is on fire! Overall I still prefer the Unwound box set of live Bloodcount recordings, even though the fidelity is not as good. As far as I recall Ducret is not on that set, which might be what makes the difference for me.

Is anyone here a fan of Time Berne? I have never been very impressed by his technical skill, but I have enjoyed each album of his that I have heard. Right now I am listening to Poisoned Minds: The Paris Concert, by his band Bloodcount. This disc was recorded live in 1994 and, on this recording, Bloodcount is Berne, Chris Speed on tenor and clarinet, Michael Formanek on contrabass, Jim Black on drums and Marc Ducret on electric guitar. I'm not crazy about Ducret's playing here, but the rest of the band is on fire! Overall I still prefer the Unwound box set of live Bloodcount recordings, even though the fidelity is not as good. As far as I recall Ducret is not on that set, which might be what makes the difference for me.

I believe I got the Unwound Box Set for $10 (AUS, so that is like 5 Euros/3 Pounds/$4 US).

I found it in a discount bin.

It is alright, it isn't bad but it isn't something I listen to that frequently.

Guest Chaney

The only Berne I own is The Shell Game. Not crazy about it as I tend to sit there waiting for Berne to stop playing it safe. (He seems to find his sonic comfort spot and doesn't stray very far in any direction.)

I have Berne's CD called "Ornery People" - it's a duo with Michael Formanek (bass), and I find it absolutely outstanding. I also have some larger band projects (on JMT) and they seemed very dry dense and soulless to me. Now this ubu guy sent me some more of Berne - I'll listen and will report here.

John, I have only two Berne discs so far: "Science Friction", and "Open, Coma" (picked that up twice on sale last week, and D.D. just got the other).

I like them both, but then I think Ducret is one of the best guitar players around.

ubu

I don't have a problem with Ducret's playing, in and of itself, I just don't think it fits very well in context of the Bloodcount tunes.

I have yet to hear the Shell Game, but I wouldn't describe any of Berne's playing as "safe" on this disc or on the Unwound box, so these might be more to your liking. Poisoned Minds is on JMT and therefore OOP for the time being, but the Unwound box is available very inexpensively directly through Screwgun.

Coincidently tonights BBC Jazz on 3 is -

Jazz on 3

Tim Berne Special

Tonight Jazz on 3 continues its summer season giving listeners another chance to hear the most popular gigs broadcast over the last year. The programme has been asking people to call and write in with their suggestions, and it is an indication of the programme's wide appeal that the two equal top choices were Swedish pop-jazz sensation EST and British godfather of avant-garde saxophone, Evan Parker.

This week Jez Nelson introduces a very special concert by cult US saxophonist Tim Berne with his Science Friction Band and special guests David Torn and The Arte [saxophone] Quartett. Berne is one of the most influential composers and band leaders on the New York downtown scene; for the past 20 years he has been a seminal figure in jazz and contemporary music.

The concert was recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on London's South Bank during the 2003 London Jazz Festival, and the performance includes a brand new work commissioned by BBC Radio 3 for Jazz on 3.

Duration:

1 hour 30 minutes

Playlist

Jazz on 3 Signature Tune

Artist Russell Gunn

Title 74 Miles Away Intro

Label Atlantic

Cat No. 7567-83165-2

LP Title Ethnomusicology Volume 1

Tim Berne Special recorded at the London Jazz Festival 2003 including the first performance of a new work commissioned by Jazz On 3 Tim Berne Science Friction Quartet with special guests David Torn and the Arte Saxophone Quartet

Tim Berne - alto sax

Tom Rainey - drums

Craig Taborn - keyboard

Marc Ducret - guitar

David Torn - guitar, samplers, and electronics

Arte Saxophone Quartet

Jazz on Three Commission

Title Untitled (Still)

Composer Tim Berne

Arte Saxophone Quartet

Beat Kappeler - baritone saxophones

Beat Hofstetter - alto saxophones

Andrea Forment - tenor and alto saxophones

Sascha Armbruster - alto soprano and baritone saxophones

Title Repulsion

Composer Arte Saxophone Quartet

Tim Berne Science Friction Quartet with special guest David Torn

Title Vangundy's Retreat

Composer Tim Berne

Title Shell Game

Composer Tim Berne

Title Traction

Composer Tim Berne

Title Mrs Subliminal

Composer Tim Berne

Title Heavy Mental

Composer Tim Berne

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzon3/pip/277gp/

Sounds interesting, Gary! These Arte Sax Quartet guys are pretty much all over the place, it seems! Don't know much more about them except they're swiss, and good. And on records by several younger swiss jazz musicians (Hans Feigenwinter, Kaspar Ewald), as well as collaborating with people like Terry Riley.

Listening now to No Try No Fall by Leimgruber, Léandre, and Hauser. Like it a lot! First time I really listen to it.

ubu

Guest Chaney

Hey Tony -

We've added three new Evander titles:

Gebbia, Goodheart & Powell - "Zen Widow"

Shaun Naidoo - "Smoke and Mirrors"

Philip Greenlief - "Stalking Andrei"

You can check out all three by following this link, which

will show you all the Evander Music titles.

LINK

Thanks much for the request.  We appreciate the participation.

Regards,

Tyler S.

General Manager

Cryptogramophone / IndieJazz.com

Two more recommended Evander titles:

Todd Sickafoose Group: Dogs Outside

You can download track one on the IndieJazz site. (NOTE to non-Funny Rats: Have a listen to this track. I think you'll like what you hear.)

An accurate appraisal:

"...These works run the gamut from being loosely based motifs that traverse circuitous paths in concert with brooding interplay marked by soaring choruses and a commanding group sound. No doubt, Dogs Outside comes as a welcome surprise. * * * * (4 out of 5 stars)." - AllAboutJazz.com

Duo

Phillip Greenlief (saxophones, flutes) & Trevor Dunn (bass)

This one's not available from IndieJazz but is well worth searching out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sonoloco Record Reviews

Edited by Chaney

Some Sunday listening:

murray_letmusic.jpg

Like it pretty well. Don't know much of Murray's output (and, frankly, don't feel a need to really start explore his oeuvre), but this one's quite good. Johnny Dyani is on bass, and Butch Morris on trumpet (or is it a cornet? or a pocket trumpet? guess a cornet).

Then another Marge disc, Roy Burrowes "Live at the Dreher" feat. Mal Waldron. Richard Raux is very good on tenor, drummer George Brown is also the drummer on the Murray disc.

Right now: broadcast of Charles Lloyd's quartet, just began on France Musiques. With Geri Allen, Eric Harland, and Reuben Rogers.

ubu

Guest Chaney

Garcia / Gebbia / Wogram: pronto! (Intakt CD 076)

Well, I've listened to this one twice and, sad to say, I'm just not liking it.

I don't like the sampling very much (an understatement), Gebbia plays ugly and the trombone of Wogram mostly sputters and farts.

And the liner notes by Bert Noglik go to great pains to say mostly nothing.

I'll have to put this one aside and have a third listen after I forget -- or pretend to forget -- listening experience number two.

Tim Berne Special recorded at the London Jazz Festival 2003 including the first performance of a new work commissioned by Jazz On 3 Tim Berne Science Friction Quartet with special guests David Torn and the Arte Saxophone Quartet

Tim Berne - alto sax

Tom Rainey - drums

Craig Taborn - keyboard

Marc Ducret - guitar

Arte Saxophone Quartet

Tim Berne Science Friction Quartet with special guest David Torn

I saw this group at the 55 Bar (NYC) right before they left for England.

Tim Berne - alto sax

Tom Rainey - drums

Craig Taborn - keyboard (I think)

I only caught the first set, but it was amazing.

It was cool to hear them in such a small room and chat a bit with David. I'd never met him in person and he was nice enough to put me on the guest list.

Torn won a Grammy last year for his production/remix work on the last Jeff Beck album.

If you like Sam Rivers in a duo setting, you really should try the wonderful but hard to find 1998 album Winter Garden (Nato) with Tony Hymas at the piano. JPC Germany seems to have it, though.

e87789j6mny.jpg

Another fine Rivers album is Configuration (Nato) with Noël Akchoté (guitars), Tony Hymas (piano), Paul Rogers (bass) and Jacques Tholot (drums).

B000007NRK.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Update: I listened to Configuration again, for the first time in ages, and I must admit it's not half as good as I thought...

:tup for Winter Garden, though.

Guest Chaney

I must admit Hans that I was wondering what you saw / heard in Configuration. (I agree with your present assessment.)

Winter Garden is wonderful. (I didn't even know of the existence of this one untill you lead me to it a couple years back. Has it been that long? I think you recommended it and I waited too long before actually attempting to order it. This one can be difficult to find... at a reasonale price, that is.)