anyone have the Elvin set?

Thanks for the question and the comments.

The Elvin set is on my short list. I love, "For All The Other Times" which is one of the sample clips available on the site. That track kills!

For me, the set that may edge out the Elvin is the JJ Johnson, especially if it hits the Running Low list. I haven't heard any such rumors, but based on it's catalog number, it seems logical for this one to head that direction. I would also expect a run on the JJ when it does hit the endangered species list.

Discs 5 & 6 leave a lot to be desired.

Respectfully disageree about Disc Five, which seems to be the MERRY-GO-ROUND & MR. JONES albums. I think those are VERY good albums, the inexplicably-left-in clinker on "La Fiesta" notwithstanding. Lot's of youthful energy from the sidemen there, and a lot of good playing gets done. My view is perhaps colored by the fact that I live htorugh those records, if not EXACTLY when they were released, within 5 years of it, and I still remember the buzz. Still, I think that stuff, if not exactly "great", is still pretty damn solid.

Disc Six, though, that's from THE PRIME ELEMENT Two-fer, and that stuff never did too much for me.

My favorite Elvin BNs remain COALITION & GENESIS, no contest. Them bad boys got it all!

You may be right about Disc #5, Jim. I usually listen to the first four discs to most, and probably haven't listed to disc #5 more than twice since I first got the set.

My favorite album is the one with Lee Morgan. Or maybe I just love hearing Lee play in interesting and unique contexts. If I'm not mistaken, this was the only piano-less date Lee ever did (excluding organ dates he was on, of course).

No wait, there was that one Moncur/McLean disc that Lee's on - with Hutch in tow too (too lazy to look it up, but you all know which one I'm talking about).

Well then, those two are probably the only "piano/organ"-less dates Lee played on. Or am I forgetting one???

I don't know, something about Jan Hammer's presence on some of this stuff scares me.

A 7/4 said, you don't have to worry about that! Except from the last sessions where he's playing some rather dated synths, it's all acoustical piano or the occasional Fender Rhodes. And he plays very well too, sounding like a mix of Chick Corea and - I suppose - none other than himself. There is a very nice track from the aforementioned 'Merry-Go-Round' album which features both Hammer and Corea on Rhodes, along with just bass, drums and percussion.

Edited by Daniel A

I just listened to "Merry Go Round" again and it's a good album. "The Children's Merry-Go-Round" was the clinker for me. "La Fiesta" doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the tracks, but I still liked it. All in all, this is a great set. My favorite album in the set is "Poly-Currents," by far. If anyone is thinking about this set but isn't convinced, I have the US CD release of "Poly-Currents" that I'd be willing to sell pretty cheap. PM me if interested.