Quicksilver Messenger Service live

kenny weir

Anyone taken a punt on any of the (relatively) recent QMS live CDs/boots?

Interested in hearing your impressions/opinions.

I'd be interested in this also. Some of the boots I've heard of QMS have been pretty scruffy, to say the least. If these are good quality, I'm in.

I wish that someone would tell us about these releases. I have never quite heard anything that captures what others have written about this band.

Guitarist Gary Duncan's wife wrote a book about the early Quicksilver Messenger Service. There was an email address for her in the book, so I emailed her. She was very cordial. In response to my question, she said that Gary Duncan listened to jazz constantly, before and during the Quicksilver period. She said that she remembered that he played John Coltrane very often, and studied the music intently.

I wish that someone would tell us about these releases. I have never quite heard anything that captures what others have written about this band.

It might take some time as they haven't been marketed well. I usually know about stuff like this but hadn't heard until Kenny posted. I'm not that anxious to buy one due to other interests right now, along with what you note in the 2nd sentence above. The few boots I've heard were alright but...well, the music on them didn't live up to the great band name.

Guitarist Gary Duncan's wife wrote a book about the early Quicksilver Messenger Service. There was an email address for her in the book, so I emailed her. She was very cordial. In response to my question, she said that Gary Duncan listened to jazz constantly, before and during the Quicksilver period. She said that she remembered that he played John Coltrane very often, and studied the music intently.

That's interesting because the "new" Gary Duncan Quicksilver plays a fair amount of jazz standards like "Senor Blues", "Maiden Voyage", "A Night in Tunisia", "Round Midnight" and others.

There's a thread on 'em at the Steve Hoffman forum, but I didn't get any clear picture of what the score is. Might have another read.

And besides, when it comes to non-jazz stuff I'd much sooner rely on the great taste of my pals here and at JC! :tup

I'm only up for one of them, really. I have no great desire to re-purchase Happy Trails, either.

For all that I love a wide array of bands from the period, including a bunch of Bay area outfits, I'm always bemused that no one really nails it like the Grateful Dead in terms of transcedental jamming. And figure that a good QMS boot might be the best bet.