this is a thread on Chuck Nessa

AllenLowe

Never worked in that store. I knew Beals from "back in the day" hanging around record stores. Last saw him about 10 years ago. He seemed the same.

Hancher was after my time there.

Yeah, he and Bob Bush used to honcho a shop called "Campus Records" I think, just a few doors down from where Discount opened. I hung out there *a lot*. Bought a lot of RCA Vintage and (God help me) Stereo re-processed Decca Jazz Heritage LPs in those stores! Small world!

greg mo

Bob Bush was a great friend in the early '60s when I was there. Campus Records used to be around the corner, west of the Hamburg Inn. All my extra money (and some of my dad's) went into that shop.

I imagine others are getting tired of reading our little stroll down memory lane, but I too remember Bush as a lovely, gentle man. He was very nice to me in the late 60s when I hung out there and helped guide me toward some better music than I was listening to then.

To generalize this a bit (!), the loss of smaller, often independently owned record stores is a real shame. One can still occasionally find independently owned stores, mostly with used stuff, but they are largely a vanished breed. I guess they gave way to the big chain stores like Peach's and Tower, and then those folded to the internet. Of course, it's possible now to find material we couldn't dream of finding then (when we searched laboriously through Schwann catalogues, ordering and hoping maybe the record would get there in our lifetimes!), but the ambience and occasional educational value of such stores is sorely missed--at least by me!

greg mo

I agree with you on the smaller, independently owned record stores. We have lost some great ones in Kansas City in the past decade. We still have Zebedees, which fits the profile, and Prospero's Books, which is mostly used books but has some vinyl and CDs. I think that stores like that are a treasure.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

Yeah, here in Seattle we're still grieving the loss of Bud's Jazz Records, which was a bona-fide landmark and a great place to hang-out. Nothing comparable left... Still plenty of hip little used-and-new stores and (comparatively) independent larger ones though. If you're ever in Seattle, be sure to check out Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. Not jazz-specific and definitely left-leaniing. Guitarist Jeffery Taylor is one of the proprietors. It's one of the few places left around here that you know the person behind the counter is a real music-buff.

Yeah, here in Seattle we're still grieving the loss of Bud's Jazz Records, which was a bona-fide landmark and a great place to hang-out. Nothing comparable left... Still plenty of hip little used-and-new stores and (comparatively) independent larger ones though. If you're ever in Seattle, be sure to check out Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. Not jazz-specific and definitely left-leaniing. Guitarist Jeffery Taylor is one of the proprietors. It's one of the few places left around here that you know the person behind the counter is a real music-buff.

I stumbled upon Bud's while wandering around Pioneer Square during a visit to Seattle a couple of years ago and spent an enjoyable couple of hours among the vinyl. Bud (if that was who was behind the counter) seemed kind of ornery until he saw my selections - he warmed up then. I went back this past winter - finding it shuttered was a blow. My godchild (insert George Wallington melody here) now lives in Seattle, so I'll be visiting frequently, and I'll check out Wall of Sound.

I stumbled upon Bud's while wandering around Pioneer Square during a visit to Seattle a couple of years ago and spent an enjoyable couple of hours among the vinyl. Bud (if that was who was behind the counter) seemed kind of ornery until he saw my selections - he warmed up then. I went back this past winter - finding it shuttered was a blow. My godchild (insert George Wallington melody here) now lives in Seattle, so I'll be visiting frequently, and I'll check out Wall of Sound.

Bud sold the store in 2001, but retained an interest in it. It was a great place. I managed one last visit last year and bought a Lucky Thompson CD and heard a story about how Lucky turned up one day at Bud's.

Guest Bill Barton

Bud sold the store in 2001, but retained an interest in it. It was a great place. I managed one last visit last year and bought a Lucky Thompson CD and heard a story about how Lucky turned up one day at Bud's.

It was probably James Rasmussen rather than Bud who was behind the counter when you were there, jeffcrom. James also leads The Jazz Police big band which plays regularly at Tula's (second Sunday of every month.) And, like Chuck said, Bud's a great guy. It's too bad that his radio show on KBCS is joining the record store in bebop heaven later in August. Sigh...