John Martyn

BFrank

The Pentangle thread has started turning into a JM thread. So considering there is so much interest in him he might as well have his own.

I made the mistake of first listening to "No Little Boy", which got a nice review in AMG. It started off badly with Phil Collins background vocals and went downhill from there. Even Levon Helm sounded totally out of place. Much of the rest of it sounded like an attempt at a male version of Sade. Not what I was expecting from Martyn. I'll take a look at some of the recommendations on the Pentangle thread and start over.

His Sade persona has developed since the early 80's. It bears very little relation to his early/mid 70's work (although you can hear the seeds occasionally).

Anyone interested in his music must hear Bless The Weather, Solid Air, and Inside Out (can't decide on a favourite.... maybe Inside Out): if you try any others, and don't like them, you still have to hear these albums. BTW (1971) is mostly acoustic - superb guitar playing and songs, very rhythmic; Solid Air gets a little more electric - the title song is an absolute classic, with Danny Thompson as important to the success of the track as Martyn; Inside Out is an aoustic/electric/echoplex near masterpiece - listened to it again tonight - the closing track, So Much In Love With You, is a tripped-out folk/blues/soul piece of heaven.

Beyond these, Sunday's Child shares many of the same qualities - maybe not quite on the same level, although You Can Discover (in the same vein as So Much In Love With You) is essential, but I wouldn't want to be without it - and One World has some beautiful songs on it too, especially Couldn't Love You More - soulful and sentimental. One World, I think, is where his albums started to contain a few too many not so great songs. Piece By Piece, I still like, and the recentish Glasgow Walker sounded nice.

I'm a critical fan. And I've earned my spurs at the gigs too - he nearly killed us at The Mean Fiddler, solo, around the late 80's - pissed, high, mouthy, just him and his box of tricks, turning the volume up after each song - belligerent bastard. He was sublime, again solo, at Sadlers Wells, around the same time. Shaw Theatre - late 80's/early 90's, with a band that time - he just wouldn't stop playing - we had to leave before the end. I'm really looking forward to hearing Live In Milan to get a taste of his solo act again.

Fantastic guitar player.

Edited by David Williams

David's recommendations are spot on.

'One World' was where I started getting disappointed - the tunes didn't linger, the rhythm got stiffer. I've actually got a little more time for 'Grace and Danger' and 'Glorious Fool.' After that...

I'll throw in three more high points from 'Inside Out' - 'Ain't No Saint' which builds up a tremendous head of steam with tabla accompaniment; and 'Beverley' and 'Make No Mistake', Martyn at his most intensely romantic.

Sunday's Child also boasts some wonderful rhtmically slippery pieces like 'Lay it All Down' and 'My Baby Girl' (very jazzy). I love the way "The Message" slips into the traditional 'Marie's Wedding.' And the closing 'Call Me Crazy' is another one of those glorious open ended Martyn tunes that could go on forever.

Well I just played 'Sunday's Child' and 'Grace and Danger'; the former sounds as wonderful as I recall.

But I was really taken by the latter. I think my coolness to Martyn at this time was connected with my general disenchantment with the rock world which seemed to have abandonned all its subtleties (and not so subtleties...thank you Mr Wakeman!) for the standard three minute thrash! Martyn's replacement of his distinctive acoustic sound for a standard rock band seemed part of the general retreat from imaginative rock (to my taste).

In retrospect the record sounds splendid - the tunes are as rich and dreamy as ever but with electric piano and fretless electric bass.

I'll give 'Glorious Fool' a go in the next couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing Sunday's Child a lot over the last week or so. It's probably suffered on previous plays for being put on as background while playing with the children, but now I've really listened properly I'll say it's as good as anything else he's produced - my favourite at the moment, anyway - that blend of acoustic guitar, double bass and effects-laden eletric guitar is gorgeous.

I'm enjoying Live At Leeds too. 20 minutes of Outside In! The bonus tracks are dispensible though - the rock'n'roll tone to those tracks doesn't suit him as well.

• 1 year later...

I have just received my copy of "On the Cobbles," John's most recent album. Since it was not released in the US I had to go the eBay way and pay $30 for it. I bought his 2000 album recently "Glasgow Walker" via eBay as well.

Upon first listen, Glasgow Walker was a bit too smooth, with production being a bit heavy. Acouple of decent moody songs, but little of John's guitar.

On the Cobbles is a totally different story. I was nervous after paying that much for it without being able to sample it. I feared I might be in for more of the same from Glasgow Walker. That was definitely not the case. The package arrived at work on a Friday afternoon [some way to finish a work week! :) ] I put it in the portable for my walk to the bus, and I was positively floored. This was a return to his top 70s form. His acoustic guitar playing is all over this record once again, and Danny Thompson even shows up on one cut. There is a bass player on the remainder of the album named Alan Thompson. Relative, perhaps??

Gone is the slick production, and back is John's distinctive growl. Mavis Staples even backs him on a chilling version of Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene."

B0001WAFXO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg:tup:tup:tup:tup

EMusic just added John Martyn & Danny Thompson - "Germany 1986". Can't be ALL bad. I'll have to check that one out.

Sound quality is lousy on that one, although their performance is great. Oviously, a bootleg recorded from the mixing board with a fluttering cassette tape deck.

B00005LPTF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Alan Thompson - no relative as far as I know - played electric bass on the likes of Grace And Danger and Glorious Fool etc. I saw him with Martyn live, and both live and on record he struck me as doing an incredible job of replicating in a very suave, superior way the warmth of Danny's playing. Not too many electric bassists you can say that of.

• 11 months later...

I don't know a whole lot about Martyn, but I've been a fan of "Solid Air" ever since I first heard it many moons ago. As a matter of fact, it's the only Martyn recording I'm familiar with. Picked up on him at the same time I was listening a lot to the likes of Nick Drake (Bryter Layter & Pink Moon) and Tim Buckley (Greetings from L.A.).

There was something really haunting/floating/ethereal about the way he put a tune together. I haven't listened to "Solid Air" in years. It's part of my mothballed fleet of LP's. Maybe I should have another go at this.

Up over and out.

John Martyn's first 7 albums have been remastered and expanded in the Island Remaster series... 2 have been out a month, whilst 5 others are due out today...

http://www.hillarby.freeserve.co.uk/hotnews.htm

the remasters in this series sound superb... I'll be picking them up for sure...

KD

Looks great, but where is Solid Air???

It looks like Solid Air will be remastered with one bonus cut. Where is the cheapest place to get these, when I live in the states?

What's the early session from the 70s with Harold McNair like? Worth chasing up for McNair's playing?

If thats The Tumbler its naff, timelocked 60's songwriting (Kuckledy Crunch And Slipledee Slee Song) and the flute fills date it even more. Period piece if you like that kind of thing. I think he only got his voice on the newly reissued Road to Ruin and Stormbringer (and they have some twee stuff on them from Beverly). Anything after Bless the Weather has more interest.

I see that Live at Nottingham has been issued. These official bootlegs have variable sound, anyone heard this

Edited by fent99

Has anyone heard this?

Cooltide.jpg

John Martyn - guitars, vocals

Spencer Cozens - keyboards, synth bass

Alan Thomson, Dave Ball - bass

John Henderson, Arran Ahmun - drums

Miles Bould - percussion

Andy Sheppard - soprano saxophone

Joe Locke - vibes

Jessica King - backing vocals

* Hole in the Rain