Paul Motian - Bill Evans

skeith

This is one of the greatest records of the 90's and one of my favorite tribute records. No attempt to ape the playing on the original records and the instrumentation is quite different- just drums, sax, electric guitar and bass. Brilliant playing by Motian, Lovano, Frissell, and Marc Johnson. Can't say enough about this great record. Just reissued on winter & winter from the old JMT label and the sound is now 24 bit and a bit more sharp at that!

Motian's entire "On Broadway" series is simiarly amazing. I have all three volumes in their original issue, but I understand they're being reissued the same as "Bill Evans".

Facinating takes on standards, which really make you think about them in entirely different ways. Most interesting version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" I think I've ever heard.

(edit) PS: And I say this, despite the fact that I've become less and less personally interested in Lovano's playing (over the years), and I've never been a huge fan of Frisell - though I often find him somewhat interesting. But in the right context (like the entire "On Broadway" series), I think they really do work some magic.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...

Motian's entire "On Broadway" series is simiarly amazing. I have all three volumes in their original issue, but I understand they're being reissued the same as "Bill Evans".

Facinating takes on standards, which really make you think about them in entirely different ways. Most interesting version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" I think I've ever heard.

(edit) PS: And I say this, despite the fact that I've become less and less personally interested in Lovano's playing (over the years), and I've never been a huge fan of Frisell - though I often find him somewhat interesting. But in the right context (like the entire "On Broadway" series), I think they really do work some magic.)

My favorite of these is Paul Motian On Broadway, Vol. III , which adds Lee Konitz and Charlie Haden to Motian, Lovano, and Frisell. An excellent record that includes a great version of "Skylark."

My favorite of these is Paul Motian On Broadway, Vol. III , which adds Lee Konitz and Charlie Haden to Motian, Lovano, and Frisell. An excellent record that includes a great version of "Skylark."

I haven't heard any of these albums, except for odd'n'end MP3s I downloaded. I guess I'll have to put them on the "to-buy" list. I think I prefer the trio without a bassist from what I've heard so far, though.

Guy