SS1's Sanford And Son Episode Breakdown

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I love the British one - Steptoe and Son - I've never seen Sanford & Son... when I was a kid my dad used to turn the show off because he disliked the old man too much to enjoy it. The spitefulness and emotional blackmail look pretty intense today. Can't think of many mainstream comedies where you'd have the son contemplating smothering his father. Great show - I think some of the storylines are the same across both. There are loads of full episodes on Youtube (at least for the time being)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine, Sam Theard, called me one day and told me that he had hit the numbers. It wasn't a fortune, but enough to make him decide to try his luck in Hollywood. Sam was a veteran stand-up comedian who made some records (not comedy) in his younger days. He also wrote Let the Good Times Roll and I'll be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You, so he did have some royalty money coming in. To get to the point, Sam hadn't been in Hollywood long when he landed a guest spot on his old friend, Red Foxx's show, playing—if I recall correctly—Sanford's long lost brother. When I visited Sam out there, he was living in an apartment house many of whose tenants were from the old black vaudeville era—they had a helluva barbecue party that week. Sam told me that they had these things regularly, and a few months later he wrote to give me his new address, the apartment building had accidentally been barbecued.

SamTheard.jpg

Sam Theard! did you take any photos out there? He did a nice vocal of State Street Blues with Cow Cow Davenport (among other things) that I listen to pretty regularly - not the pinnacle of his talents I'm sure but nevertheless...

'I'll be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You' must be on a recent compilation as I hear it now & then, but I can't remember what one.

Edited by cih

• 3 months later...