Any DIY experts out there?

As a first-time homeowner I'm beginning to realize that I need to expand and nurture my fix-it skills. After writing checks to the parade of plumbers, electricians, etc. that have been coming by (and seeing how simple some of the repairs have been), I can see that I need to acquire some chops in this area.

My request that I put out to those of you who are homeowners, or just have skills in this area, is what would you recommend that I check out as far as DIY guides? Something like the Time-Life series? Is there something better? What basic tools (beyond the usual screwdrivers, hammers, drills) should I possess? Our new home is in pretty good shape, and I'm not talking about major repairs, but more like things such as retiling a bathroom and shower, basic maintenance and repair, etc. I'm reasonably "handy" but feel that I have much to learn in this new area.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions! :)

EDIT: I know I can find a DIY site, but I thought I'd start with the board members, whose knowledge seemingly knows no bounds!

Edited by Free For All

My DIY skills relate to waiting till my father visits me to fix up my place. He's 69 years old and has failing eyesight and trembling fingers, but he knows what to do. I just stand at the back, hand him tools, scowl, and see if I can sneak on some jazz tunes to relieve the boredom. B)

Oh man, the money you'll save. The Time-Life series is very good. My wife and I have used it for years. Home Depot also puts out a series that you might find very useful.

Some tools that I would hyperventilate without:

Leatherman multi-pupose tool

English/metric ratchet set (the more sockets/extensions the better!)

Studfinder

Chisel (for spackeling and chipping among other uses)

Duct tape!!

Level

Carpenter's glue

Any power drill/screwdriver, cordless above 12 v

Start a collection of pliers to include standard, needlenose, arc-point and wire cutters

Wire stripper

Fluke multimeter (to jump start the electrician in you)

Electrical jig/sabre saw (they sell these in combination sets w/ cordless drills, but you might need higher voltage)

Caulking gun

Ready supply of PVC pipe and pipe wrench and PVC cutter

My personal favorite, to augment any wrench set you have, the Ratchet Combination Wrench:

ratspan1.jpg

My dad gave us a Reader's Digest single-volume home repair book when we moved into a co-op apartment -- it's been very helpful (has an awful lot of info crammed in there). I bought a Black & Decker home repair volume for a friend of mine who bought a house recently -- looked pretty good too.

I have a big book by Black and Decker that explains how to do just about everything pretty well. I bought a seperate book by Home Depot on tiling, just to make sure.

I'm still getting tools but I congratulate you on the decision to go DIY. Whenever I get intimidated I just think, "Hey... I'm smart, I can figure it out."

And then I read for two days before touching anything! :)

If you need any help with anything, Free, just give me a call. I'll be glad to give you my father-in-law's number, and you can call him, just like I do!!! :P

I'd call my own Dad, but he lives just outside of St. Louis, where I grew up. My folks are here in town this weekend, actually. And my Dad is gonna help me (really, I'm going to help him) install a new electrical outlet on the outside of our house, running new wiring from the inside to the outside. Every time my Dad comes to visit, I put him to work doing something - usually electrical.

Last time we (he) installed a new grounded outlet in our 2nd bedroom, for my computer to plug into - without having to run an extension cord all the way across the room. These old houses rarely have more than one or two (at most) electrical outlets per room, it seems.

Our house was built in 1922, and it is our first house too. Again, major congrats on buying your first house, Free.

Do give me a call sometime, if you ever need someone to point and snicker when you discover you've done something wrong, cuz that's about all I'm good for when it comes to home DIY.

Do give me a call sometime, if you ever need someone to point and snicker when you discover you've done something wrong, cuz that's about all I'm good for when it comes to home DIY.

Rooster will act as a DJ for Andrew Hill selections, Free, while you're blowing yourself up doing wiring. ;)

Seriously, Congrats on your new house.

Yeah, they're money pits but so what?! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Looks like I'll be picking up some books and tools <imagine Tim Allen gorilla sound here>. I always get a woody* :o when I go into Home Depot or Lowe's, now I'll be able to get something other than grill accessories or light bulbs. Hulk like buy reciprocating saw........Hulk getting sleepy....... :g

Rooster, if your only contribution is to keep supplying me with rare aural treats, that will be just fine. ;)

* and not Shaw or Herman, either!

I'm still getting tools but I congratulate you on the decision to go DIY. Whenever I get intimidated I just think, "Hey... I'm smart, I can figure it out."

When I first started doing this stuff, I was afraid to touch anything, but each job really builds your confidence. The strange thing is, I worked in the electronics industry for fifteen years, but electrical stuff was the one thing I was afraid to touch. But now that I've installed that ceiling fan in the dining room, there's no stopping me! :g

I have some of the same experience in the "learn by watching dad" dept. he seems to know how to do just about anything, so it's fun to learn from him. We just did a bunch of plumbing in his house and recently installed hardwood floors in two rooms of the house together. It has been a fun learning experience with him, going out to the suburbs on alternate Sundays ad helping him out with several projects he has done around the house. He also pays me, kind of an apprenticeship kind of deal. The best part about it is, that I get to hang out with my dad, who just turned 61 and is just about as cool an old man a kid could wish to have. I've learned a lot about home repair and remodeling and have greatly improved my relationship with him in the process. WE have invented cool way of working together, where he is the know-how, and I am the objective eyes and ears...in other words, we can finish where the other person gets stuck and viseversa.

Now , auto repair is a completely different matter...I can change oil and replace spark plugs but thats about it!