Wimbledon 2009

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the roof even been used yet? From what I've seen, its not a terrible looking solution to the problem, even if it messes big time with "tradition". I really missed the debate about doing it - was it more or less controversial than when they added lights to Wrigley?

Not yet, the big controversy is that they sent the Williams play on the smaller courts instead om being on the central. NBC coverage sucks , actually showing early action instead of live one :bwallace:

Trying to find a link, but on a tennis blog they mention that better looking players will be priorized for the access to central court, as much as i love hot looking women i find it quite idiotic.

The most attractive matches will be shown on the best courts, but the look of the players is just one factor of attractiveness, among others (famousness, style of play, nationality).

A british player has more chances of playing on the centre court, even if she and her opponent are ugly.

"Senera" "Senera" "Senera"

Whoever the hell she is.

One thing is likely - with the Williams sisters, a match up in the final rarely means exciting or competitive tennis.

Meanwhile, I feel kind of stupid to admit this but I was somewhat surprised to realize they had installed lights with the roof over Centre Court. I kind of assumed that the translucent covering was designed to let the natural light in while keeping the rain out. Isn't it inevitable now for night sessions to be scheduled?

Edited by Dan Gould

Meanwhile, I feel kind of stupid to admit this but I was somewhat surprised to realize they had installed lights with the roof over Centre Court. I kind of assumed that the translucent covering was designed to let the natural light in while keeping the rain out. Isn't it inevitable now for night sessions to be scheduled?

I think the roof's purpose is twofold: one, to allow continued match play when it rains and two; if a match extends into the evening. I don't recall talk of scheduling night matches like the US Open does, but who knows. My take is that Wimbledon is trying to make things easier rather than breaking with tradition; at least that's my understanding.

My take is that Wimbledon is trying to make things easier rather than breaking with tradition; at least that's my understanding.

Correct. Takes away the risk of lost time due to rain interruptions - a real threat over here. Happily though - this week we are having a heatwave.

Incidentally, it sure was weird watching that late-night Murray cliffhanger yesterday, wrapping up just before bed time.

Edited by sidewinder

but the Brit is still in the hunt.

If he wins, this place will be unbearable for the rest of the year. <_<

but he's not British! :o

The Djoker is out but the Brit is still in the hunt.

Great match though between Roddick and Hewitt.

Edited by Holy Ghost

You're not kidding. Wimbledon; the sport for people who don't like sport. Adopts Ron Manager voice: "Wimbledon, isn't it? Henman Hill, strawberries and cream, Cliff Richard, first British winner since Fred Perry etc".

Edited by rdavenport

You're not kidding. Wimbledon; the sport for people who don't like sport. Adopts Ron Manager voice: "Wimbledon, isn't it? Henman Hill, strawberries and cream, Cliff Richard, first British winner since Fred Perry etc".

And lining up for the inevitable defeat on Sunday in the best manner of German penalty shoot outs etc. to prolong the national agony. :lol:

If he did win it would be the first Brit winner since Virginia Wade - back in 1977 I think (Jubilee year).

Edited by sidewinder