Jazz Versions of Michael Jackson Tunes

DMP

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't Miles cover one of the Thriller tunes during a career lowpoint? Or was it another piece of dated 80s pop?

I'd be not surprised too, since I remember in the last years of Davis' activity he was so often playing poppish music some musical critic wondered when and wether he will be the direct Jackson "king of pop" competitor as he was approaching to do with those boring '80s pop hits. I have seen him live twice in those years, though I started to appriciate his pre-1975 greatness as a whole only later on. As you said, one of the Davis worst 'career lowpoint', without depriving him of his greatness.

Pretty good and groovy version of the Jackson 5's "Ill Be There" on Boogaloo Joe Jones' 1970 Prestige release "No Way!".

It's most easily found on this two-fer (Legends of Acid Jazz, Vol. 2, with the ugly cover)

Just listened to this for the first time today in fact (got the two-fer as a cheap cutout from Dusty on Monday), and I liked it more than I'd expected to. Early Grover Washington on both dates on the two-fer, all on tenor (no soprano, whew!!).