clickandbuy.com (UK)

Same thing happend to me over this weekend. I got two voice calls and an email from BOA saying that their fraud unit found suspicious activity on my CC. I logged onto my online account and there it was clickandbuy.com

There was no $ in the transaction, I believe BOA blocked it. After talking to customer service, they voided my card and are sending a new one.

I have no idea how they got my info. I've never been to their site.

Click and buy is a reputable company that has been active for years. Many german newspapers use it for small payments (purchase of article or magazine downloads).

http://clickandbuy.com/US/en/merchantportal/references.html

It rather looks like someone used your credit card details to buy stuff from them. Usually they request the CVV number from the card (the three-digit number printed on the back). If that was the case, I would be worried about the safety of the card, since someone might have all the releavant data to make online payments with it.

Edited by Claude

It could be that ClickAndBuy is a popular target for fraudsters to make use of stolen credit card details without any risk of getting caught, since it usually involves transactions which require no shipping address (online services, downloads). If the buyer manages to hide his real IP address (use of several proxy servers), he is almost impossible to trace.

Edited by Claude

According to this page, clickandbuy purchases could be used by thieves to test if the credit card works:

http://community.contractwebdevelopment.co...edit-card-fraud

This would explain why the fraud only involves very small amounts.

That's what happened to me.

The card was canceled immediately, & only a $3.50 charge had been made.

That charge was removed & a new card is being sent.

The mystery is where the card info. was obtained by the fraudster.

At least the fraud alerts that credit card companies use seem to work.

According to this page, clickandbuy purchases could be used by thieves to test if the credit card works:

http://community.contractwebdevelopment.co...edit-card-fraud

This would explain why the fraud only involves very small amounts.

That's what happened to me.

The card was canceled immediately, & only a $3.50 charge had been made.

That charge was removed & a new card is being sent.

The mystery is where the card info. was obtained by the fraudster.

At least the fraud alerts that credit card companies use seem to work.

That happened to me this morning! :o

I think it would be useful if the board members who have experienced this fraud let us know where they've been buying music in the last month or two. Seems likely that some site we've all been buying from has bad security.

For example, I've made recent purchases at Concord and at Oldies.com, both of which I buy from rarely. Have others on this thread been buying from these sites?

I think it would be useful if the board members who have experienced this fraud let us know where they've been buying music in the last month or two. Seems likely that some site we've all been buying from has bad security.

For example, I've made recent purchases at Concord and at Oldies.com, both of which I buy from rarely. Have others on this thread been buying from these sites?

No, not at all. I have used Concord in the distant past. The credit card that was compromised I rarely use, and it was last used at a Burrito joint in Arlington Virginia.

Interesting. Given that Joe's card was already expired when it was tested, that points to whatever compromising that may have been done being quite a long time ago, which is certainly not unheard of. If I'm a fraudster trying to avoid detection, I'm probably going to stockpile lots of credit card numbers and sit on them for at least a little while before making purchases. Or, as has been mentioned here, maybe a site a bunch of us buy from got hacked recently and the hackers got access to a ton of old customer data.

Nope to those 2.

I've never even been to the clickandbuy site.

I did buy the Evans: Turn Out The Stars from the Best Buy site that I had never used before.

My other music buying has been much curtailed lately - a few things from Amazon sellers & that's about it.