What are the most important jazz pieces

Daniel A

Oh, and I can boast that I once got a girl who LOVED Dave Matthews Band to realize that it wasn't worth her time, and she even sold her concert tickets, and never went back to this shit sandwich. A personal victory, as I can't stand that band. :party:

man, Amen to that. Absolute crap-ola

I hope I'm not too late to this discussion, but you mentioned she likes more "popular" forms of music. If this is true, her ear will probably interperet conventional jazz harmonies, and therefore jazz solos/improv, as very dissonant (in pop, dissonance is usually a no-no). I would try to start the compilation with a few ballads, the least dissonant you can find. Remember, if it sounds dissonant to you it'll sound like absolute nonsense to her. DON'T include any bop, most people I know think it sounds like chaos.

Remember to include some vocal jazz peppered throughout, so she can grab on to some lyrics. One good one would be Carmen McRae's version of "New York State of Mind", that Billy Joel song (or anything by Carmen in my opinion).

I hope any of that made a lick of sense! :D

After all, if a reluctant reader asked you to recommend some fiction to get him or her interested in reading would you really recommend Chaucer?

Is this a trick question? We're not dealing with a "reluctant reader", but with someone who isn't interested in reading the same type of book you do yet wants an "intellectual understanding" of the stuff. If someone was interested in gaining an intellectual understanding of English literature, of course I'd recommend Chaucer.