Chicago Jazz Fest!

sheldonm

I was somewhat underwhelmed by nearly all the shows I saw Sunday. Archie Shepp was good, but as mentioned in a previous post, he didn't sound 100%. I am very glad though, that I stayed until the end. Muhal Richard Abrams' "Spiralview" was amazing. Aside from "Spiralview", my favorite performance from Sunday was Frank Catalano and Ari Brown's morning set in the aisles of the Jazz Record Mart.

Edited by sal

Just returned from an amazing set at the Velvet - Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan, Harrison Bankhead, Henry Grimes and Muhal Richard Abrams. They played an hour set and took a break. We had to leave then but ran into Oliver Lake on the street heading in with his alto. The place was jammed.

Missed Saturday, but Sunday night at the Velvet was pretty amazing - no Muhal or Lake, though. It was the most melodic I believe I've ever heard Kidd Jordan play and Fred was a long stream of melody -- better than at the festival, I thought. Henry Grimes played that fiddle again, but this time it sounded more together. Later on he played bass.

There were a number of high points this weekend. One on Sunday was James Falzone's KLANG which played rearrangements of Benny Goodman-associated songs along with J.F. originals. Even with vibes and guitar it didn't sound like a BG combo. J.F. was so melodic, the music moved so freely, the arrangements were so shapely and purposeful that he presented a whole different kind of sensibility altogether -- more intense, in his way, than BG. (Larry Kart wrote revealing liner not for his first CD.)

wow. I guess my favorites were not the favorites of the organissimo board in the slightest.

As is seemingly the case every year, the best acts get booked on the jazz on jackson stage so they can play to a few hundred people.

Fareed Haque, Esperanza Spaulding (her band is SOOOOO good), Dan Cray, Nicole Mitchell, Darwin Noguera and the previously mentioned Ben Paterson all turned in top notch performances that should have been seen by far more people than they were.

Jeff Parker's set was a great (in essence) kick off to the festivities.

I told everyone that would listen that Gonzalo Rubalcaba's set was going to be the best of the entire weekend. All of the reports that I've heard back indicate that I called that one to a "T." One of the few times in my life that I've been bummed that I was playing instead of seeing someone else.

I thought Amina Figarova's set was really good, but was totally floored by the Holland Big Band. Especially Potter's solo. Damn.

I was glad to see the Young Lions stage this year.

What I'd REALLY like to see is either more JIC attention for Chicago's alt-jazz scene or an altogether new stage for the stuff. Algernon, Leafbird, Matt Ulery's Loom, Eastern Bloc, Andreas Kapsalis, and others are more than deserving of space at the fest, yet year after year, their music is ignored, where really, it's the freshest music happening in the midwest.

you guys are making me jealous - closest thing to a jazz festival where I live is the local bar where a jazz trio plays for nothing in the corner next to the men's room door, while various drunks enter, puke, and stumble outside.

it's not bad, just not quite as good as Roscoe Mitchell and Von Freeman.

Good seeing you too.

Never had a chance to stop by the booth with an empty glass. :cool:

You should have made mention of it, I would have gladly given you an empty glass. Or better yet, a full one!

you guys are making me jealous - closest thing to a jazz festival where I live is the local bar where a jazz trio plays for nothing in the corner next to the men's room door, while various drunks enter, puke, and stumble outside.

Sounds like any number of gigs that I have on a steady basis.

An interview with Muhal Richard Abrams: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/musi...-jazz04.article

A review of the first night of the festival: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/musi...-fest06.article

Both articles got cut between the writing and the printing. Aram Shelton played lovely alto sax in Rolldown.

Peyroux's diction and contralto range are "masterful"? Hmmm....