Coleman Hawkins

Victor Christensen

Complete info from Bruyninckx CD:

Timeless Jazz: Coleman Hawkins' Band : Emmett Berry (tp) Eddie Bert (tb) Coleman Hawkins (ts) Billy Taylor (p) Milt Hinton (b) Jo Jones (d)

New York, November 8, 1954

-Lullaby of Birdland Jazztone JlO02 (10 inch LP)

-Get happy -

-Out of nowhere -

-Blue Lou -

-Stompin' at the Savoy -

-Just you, just me -

Note : Jazztone JlO02 = J1201 entitled "Improvisations unlimited" = Musidisc (F)30JA5186 = Xanadu 195 entitled "Jazz tones" = EPM (F)FDC5156 (CD), see also following sessions. Storyville STCD4112 entitled "Masters of Jazz Vol 12", rest from April 2, 1960 & February 13, 1968.

The above except last title also on Fresh Sound (Sp)FSRCD88 entitled "Timeless Jazz".

Emmett Berry, Eddie Bert out, rest same, same location and date

-If I had you (*) Jazztone JlO02, J1201

-Ain't misbehavin' (*) J708, -

-Cheek to cheek (*) - , -

-Undecided -

-Honeysuckle rose J1OOA, Storyville (Dan) SLP4112, (Dan)STCD4ll2

-Time on my hands Concert Hall (unknown number)

Note : All titles except last also on Xanadu 195 and EPM (F)FDC5156 (CD) see also previous note.

"Blue Lou" appears as "Blues love" on some Jazztone issues.

(*) Also on Musidisc (F)3OJA5186 and Fresh Sound (Sp)FSRCD88.

or as i like to call it, the bean machine's prostiute album: this album has been issued on more labels, than any record in the Great Beans catalogue. it might start w/ jazztone, but it doesnt end there. hold on to your hats. i dont know the story of what happened with these master tapes, but you guys MUST know what im talking about...........

If you'd really had a closer look at the Hawk's discography then you'd have seen this just ain't so. Just look at the huge number of labels his Commodore, Signature etc. recordings of the forties or some of his recordings of the late 50s (e.g. his Felsted session or some of his live recordings) have been reissued on.