BFT 68: Listen And Discuss

Joe

Just realized what #23 is from - Radiance by the Susie Ibarra Trio. I have the album, but forgot that there were non-originals on it. The odd bass sound must be pianist Cooper-Moore playing some sort of keyboard bass. (The cover doesn't say.) It's a really nice album, but like I said, I forgot this Hendrix tune was on it.

Joe,

Even though I don't have much to say, as usual, I wanted to recognize your efforts and let you know I have been listening. I don't know as much or write as well as the rest of the group. For me the BFTs are a way to hear and learn about new things. And everything on this one is new to me. I did think that I had heard #21 before but it may be that it is the tune that I recognized.

There wasn't a track that I didn't enjoy hearing but there wasn't much that I would probably seek out to buy either. The exception would be track #24. Really liked that one. Is that prepared piano? Kind of reminded me of a Denman Maroney album I have, nothing sounded like a piano until about the third piece.

Probably listened to #9 the most often. I'm a big vibes fan and wanted to figure out who this was. Couldn't do it.

Thanks for the good music. Looking forward to the reveal.

Jeff, NIS -- thanks for listening, and for sharing your impressions. Glad to know somebody took a shine to #21 and #22... and to read a name-check on Denman Maroney.

Does anybody recognize the tune on #1? (Just curious.)

All will be revealed, 12 PM / noon, F, 11/06/09.

J

Another Blindfold Testee encouraged me to jump in since so few tracks had been ID'd.

I, too, am outfoxed by this one. The only tracks I can ID (3, 12) have already been ID'd.

Even my big clever remark has already been made by someone else: I love the way the drummer finishes 21 by alluding to Vernell Fournier.

A couple of stabs in the dark:

14. Is that Ricky Ford?

18. Bobby Bradford?

I'm having a great time with this, and I can tell it's going to cost me some money if some of these discs aren't already in my collection. Thanks, Joe!

Oy whatta month!!!! Squeezing in time to listen and comment with apologies now for the uncharacteristic (for me) brevity!

1) Sounds like a Med Flory big band kind of arrangement (like I would know what that sounds like. The name just jumped to mind.)

2) Ooooooh! Starts very nice! Almost Christmas-y! I'd like to know who this is! Wait, is this from that Oscar Peterson SOUL ESPANOL album (came out as a Verve LPR a few years back)?

3) Kinda reminds me of the Shelly Manne PETER GUNN album. Or Yo La Tengo with a sax solo! :D

4) Roland Kirk on multiple saxes, whistles, and other assorted noise-makers, with a special appearance by Davy Jones of the Monkees on lead tambourine! A lot going on here, and a helluva groooooooove!!!! Love it!

5) Another nice groove to start with! Waaaaaaait...... guitar instead of piano, which sounds TREMENDOUSLY like Jim Hall (nobody backs a sax like him), maybe Joe Lovano on the sax.... once again, as usual, HAFC™, but lovin' it just the same! Wait a second.... when did the piano arrive???

6) Okay when it's moving, takes too many rubato detours, and goes on FORRRREVVVVERR!!!

7) Someone who likes Trane's pianoless soprano sax excursions, that's for sure.

That's all for now. Hope I can finish before the answers get posted. If not, I like what I've heard so far!!!

Still listening, track by track, can only do it on the computer as my operating system has some rather strange issues with the burners, and I can't listen to music all the time while doing work at the comp.

I certainly enjoy it, but recognized only the bonus track so far - the jazziest track Buffalo Springfield ever recorded.

The answers are up, so I'm gonna try and finish this before peeking!

Track 8: Has kind of a "Filles de Kilmanjaro" feel to it. Me likey, so far! Flute taking the first solo, late 60's sound, could this be Hubert Laws? No, that can't be right; this doesn't sound like him. Joe Farrell maybe? Whatever. I love this era and this sound. Very Herbie Fat Albert Mwandishi sounding!

(At this point, I want to thank Joe for providing the Flash streaming format. Having to start each trach individually helps me to stay focused on each individual song, and prevents them from blurring into each other. Great idea, Joe!)

Track 9: Oooooh, piano-vibes-bass. Brings to mind that one track from Hutch's HAPPENINGS, track 2, can't remember the name. This isn't that song, but it sure has a similar feel. VERY nice! This one'll get repeated listenings!

(drattit! hit the reply button on accident and don't feel like editing it. post count means everything!)

Track 9: (continued) Stan Getz???? Well now, this changes everything. I think. What's that LP on Prestige, "Early Stan" or something like that? Isn't Terry Gibbs on that? But this vibist is too subdued. And the fidelity suggests some Verve from the 60's. Maybe it's Dave Pike on vibes?

Track 10: Sounds like Wynton warming up with the Cleveland Philharmonic Orchestra...... zzzzzzzz.....

Track 11: "Doooooooo..... doooooooo...... DREEEEEEEEEENNNNN!!!!! And he comes in..... 'good eeeeevening.' And he was so happyyyyy..... to scare you to deeeaaaaath. And he opened that door....... EEEEHHRHHRRRRHEHHRHEEHHHRRRRR......." And yet, I love endless drones like this!!! Sounds like Elvin locked himself in the basement with an old Casio Wurlitzer hybrid, set it on an endless loop, and went to town! Either that, or it's a Genesis demo from the FOXTROT era. One or the other.....

Track 12: Mmmmm mmm mmm dig that groooove! Percussive piano trio.... no grunting..... Hampton Hawes in a Monk mood? Jack DeJohnette?

Track 13: Sounds like it's incorporating "Ruby My Dear" among other Monk tunes. Very interesting. Sounds like late-era Monk, like past Columbia into the 70's.

Track 14: Tenor is too squawky for me, but I do like the loping beat and the piano!

Ah, I've run out of time. Off to the answers!

Sorry I'm so late, but better late than never ... I had to work under some pressure during the last two or three weeks which didn't allow me to listen to this kind of music while sitting at the computer keyboard, but now it's getting better.

So here's my two cents, writing during first listen:

# 1 - The tune's familiar to me, sounds a bit like the tunes Manny Album used to write for his Coral albums. I hear Art Farmer, Benny Golson, not sure about the flute, trombone, and piano. I remember there is a Jazztet album with orchestra in the Mosaic box, but listened to it only once ... Nice, so short it makes me want to hear more, a nice, engaged performance.

# 2 - Nice latin inflections without going for standard methods as far as the drums and percussion is concerned. Very good performance - would like to know who this is.

# 3 - The Space organ sidewinder, alto with a slightly sour tone à la McLean - not quite my cup of tea. Organist is nice. Trumpet too.

# 4 - Free style calypso, alto slightly sour again ..... doesn't go very far.

# 5 - Nice piano riff, and baritone. Great. Like that much more. Kind of existentialist type of theme.

# 6 - I dunno ... this mixture of old style blues inflection, post-Corea piano and reflective bass playing doesn't thrill me.

# 7 - Lacy? No, a little too agile for him, but someone influenced by him. I like this. That soloist has a lot of focus. Like Lacy crossed with neo-bop. I have heard that theme before ... Interesting. I want to hear more.

# 8 - Sound like a typical 1970's track, with the flute, and the Rhodes piano ... no idea who this is.

# 9 - Cool alto (?) - no, tenor, sounds like Getz on alto, and existentialist vibes. Rather hard mallets. Is that one of the Teddy Charles tracks with J.R. Monterose and Mingus?

# 10 - Trumpet reminds me of Don Cherry, but this is a darker sound. Playful, somehow the bassist doesn't reach me - I like a darker, woodier sound. Half as long would have been better.

# 11 - Sounded like a nice idea at first, but the accordionist doesn't really go anywhere, alternates netween two chords much of the time. I could do this, in fact I have done things like this on jam sessions when I took place behind a keyboard. Disappointing. Drummer clatters a bit. For a pure soundscape, this isn't enough.

# 12 - Sounds like an upright piano. Reminds me of Mal Waldron, but I don't think it's him, Very casual. The relaxed attitude saves it for me, I think I know that pianist. He's the most original of the three. Drummer bores me.

# 13 - That pianist has listened to Monk very closely - very Monkish voicings. The others do not impress me.

#14 - Not to my taste - don't like the tenor's tone, find the drummer annoying.

# 15 - Some 1960's semi-cool stuff. Nice that it's a bass feature, and overall.

# 16 - Hey - almost R & B ;-) ... jump it folks. That's a nice track, and the bari makes it even nicer. That's one that makes me say "Yeah!" while it goes along. Who is this? Very competent baritone player. Gets better by the bar.

# 17 - First I thought this was over the top, but on the whole it's an interesting performance. They tried something new at the time.

# 18 - This disc never ends .... a track in a similar faschion as # 17, but a little too long and less focussed.

# 19 - Neo-bop ... almost mainstreamish. Nice trumpeter, but I could live without this.

# 20 - Some guys doing a retro of a "white" sounding early bop tune. Alto with a slightly low intonation on a heavy Parker influence. I dunno - the pianist's chords behind his right hand sound rather strange to me .... Barry Harris? No, he wouldn't have comped that way. Something on this track sounds to me like they're all in different keys or slightly detuned ...

# 21 - Poinciana free style? Well, I've heard too much of this kind of thing, and all those drummers sound the same ...

# 22 - Jeff Palmer? He's the only organist I know to play that kind of thing. And some of the licks sure sound like him.

# 23 - Oh, this is some Hendrix tune ... Up From The Skies? One of the jazziest tracks he ever recorded. Bu this version fails to keep my attention.

# 24 - I hate those bass pickups, especially the bowing sounds awful, like here. This doesn't do much for me ...

# 25 - Richie Furay - the only jazz ballad Buffalo Springfield ever recorded. Nice. I liked this a lot when I bought the LP as a teen.

This was a nice ride, but hard work at the same time, listening through so much music. Now off to the answers ...

p.s. edited for typos

Edited by mikeweil