Sources for early published reactions to Bird?

I just realized that although many musicians claim to have been impressed by Bird's playing with Jay McShann, I've never read anything about him published before 1945. (And even then Dizzy, rather than Bird seems to be the one who captured attention). Is there a book or article that includes early published reactions to his playing?

according to the book "charlie parker" by thomas hirschmann (tutzing 1994; only in german), there are only three articles that mentions parker before 1945:

1. barry ulanov and george simon: "mcintyre, mcshann lead fine bands", in: metronome magazin 58, march 1942, page 12, 22.

2. bob locke: "put full mcshann ork on wax", in: down beat magazin 9, 01. july 1942, page 4.

3. johnny sippel: "bands dug by the beat: billy eckstine (reviewed at the regal theatre, chicago)", in: down beat magazin 11, 01. october 1944, page 4, column 2-4.

keep boppin´

marcel

two of the three reviews are in the excellent book "the charlie parker companion- six decades of commentary" by carl woideck (schirmer books 1998):

page 30: "in 1942, bob locke, reviewing the mcshann band in down beat, wrote: "charlie parker offers inspired alto solos, using a minimum of notes in a fluid style with a somewhat thin tone but a wealth of pleasing ideas."".

page 32: "an october 1, 1944, review by johnny sippel in down beat, written while the band [eckstine´s] was at the regal theatre in chicago, notes. "driving force behind the reeds is charlie parker, destined to take his place behind hodges as a stylist on alto sax. after hearing this band doing six shows during the week at the regal, your reviewer didn´t hear repeats on many of the choruses which parker did. his tone is adequate, but the individualizing factor is his tremendous store of new ideas."".

that´s all!

keep boppin´

marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I found the full Locke piece in the "Downbeat 60 years of Jazz" book. Guess I'll have to buy the Woideck which is now oop and hence overpriced. I'm really curious as to when his genius began to be recognized.

It might be easier to find a library that has the entire Down Beat in microfilm.

• 3 weeks later...

according to the book "charlie parker" by thomas hirschmann (tutzing 1994; only in german), there are only three articles that mentions parker before 1945:

1. barry ulanov and george simon: "mcintyre, mcshann lead fine bands", in: metronome magazin 58, march 1942, page 12, 22.

2. bob locke: "put full mcshann ork on wax", in: down beat magazin 9, 01. july 1942, page 4.

3. johnny sippel: "bands dug by the beat: billy eckstine (reviewed at the regal theatre, chicago)", in: down beat magazin 11, 01. october 1944, page 4, column 2-4.

keep boppin´

marcel

look, i found a fourth review from 1944: in the new and exellent book: "the music and life of theodore fats navarro-infatuation-" by peterson and rehak (scarecrow press 2009) is mentioned at page 68 a review from the billy eckstine band´s december 1944 engagement at the apollo in new york. a variety review surprisingly reveals that parker on this occasion had rejoined the band, and that he and gillespie were heavily featured soloists. "house reviews: apollo," variety, 27 december 1944: page 35.

keep boppin´

marcel

look, i found a fourth review from 1944: in the new and exellent book: "the music and life of theodore fats navarro-infatuation-" by peterson and rehak (scarecrow press 2009) is mentioned at page 68 a review from the billy eckstine band´s december 1944 engagement at the apollo in new york. a variety review surprisingly reveals that parker on this occasion had rejoined the band, and that he and gillespie were heavily featured soloists. "house reviews: apollo," variety, 27 december 1944: page 35.

keep boppin´

marcel

I did buy the Woideck book and really can't find any early references to Bird's importance. Dizzy seems to be accepted as the most important bopper. Leonard FEather does refer to him as the best new alto player somewhere around '45 (I'll check the date later). By '49 in Feather's Be-bop book he does make clear that Bird is the most important person in modern jazz but even in this book Dizzy gets more attention. (There's a picture of him as the frontispiece and he writes the introduction.)

• 5 months later...