Hall of Fame Jazz Greats

Tom in RI

Sometime in the late 70’s or possibly early 80’s I picked up a bunch of cheap records on the Hall of Fame Jazz Greats label. Some of the records were clearly studio dates from other labels and put out, I presume, without proper license. They also had at least 4 records of Jazz at the Philharmonic material. Cadence identified these as coming from 2 JATP concerts from Hartford 9/17/54 and Chicago 2/10/55. These include JG 628, 631, and 632. My questions are:

Does anyone know the source of JG 630 “The Titans”? This features Sonny Stitt, Dizzy Gillespie and Stan Getz. I assume its from one of the two shows making up 628, 631 and 632.

I don’t have JG 629, does anyone have this and is it also more JATP material?

JG 628 The Great Jam-boree

Jazz Concert Blues (Hartford)

The Swing Set (Chicago)

Rich’s Explosion (Chicago)

The Blues (Chicago)

JG 631 Jazz Moods

I Didn’t Know What Time It Was (Chicago)

Lover Man (Chicago)

The Man I Love (Hartford)

Tenderly (Chicago)

My Old Flame(Chicago)

Body and Soul (?)

A Ghost of a Chance (?)

Imagination (Hartford)

I’ll Never Be the Same (Hartford)

Stardust (Hartford)

JG 632 Jazz Berry Jam

The Modern Set (Chicago)

Bellson Drum Solo (Hartford)

The Challenge (Hartford)

Willow Weep for Me (Chicago)

As far as I can tell, Verve issued two lps worth of material from these two concerts in 1983, I have been searching through my stuff but I can’t find them. AllMusic doesn’t have track listings, can anyone tell me what is on them?

I also have JG 633 which has 3 cuts by the Gene Krupa 4tet and an 11 ½ minute track by Max Roach/Clifford Brown. Anyone know the date of this Roach/Brown tune, if there was anymore from this date, and has it been released anywhere else?

Thanks.

I missed lps in supermarkets by just a few years. I do have a couple or three records with the sticker on the shrink wrap at 88 cents. I bought the majority of the above mentioned lps at a department store at, I think, $1.97 or thereabouts.

At least I didn't miss the era of records in department stores! When the heck were there records in supermarkets?

Choices better than Wal-Mart today. I mean, just imagine New Orleans R&B for sale in that place at that time!

Yes - over here, too. Your average record shop or department store, or the WH Smiths bookshops would cover a whole range of music - at least, the range that was issued over here on British labels. And they often had a good back catalogue (45s and LPs) in stock. A shop I used to visit in Hove in the sixties had a shelf full of old London American 45s, going well back to the mid fifties, behind the counter and they'd let me sit on the floor pulling them out and filling in my Chuck Willis etc collections.

All that changed when retail price maintenance was made illegal in 1964 or 1965. Once the big stores could sell for what they thought was a competitive price, the indie shops didn't have a chance and the range of music reduced quite soon.

MG