Listening to Digital Media Vs. LPs

Yeah, but often with these soft/hardware manuals I don't understand sh*t... I don't even know what "firmware" is, although I updated my external burner's firmware. I'll look into the rockbox thing though. I still burn most of my live shows (FLAC downloads usually) to CDR, as I don't have any means to hook up an external drive to my amplifier... so having FLAC on an ipod would be rather useful.

Flurin,

I've been in the same boat for quite a while but I've got a link here that might interest you (German, longer read ... take your time).

Until I read that, I was quite sure that it would take tons of money to do what I want to do (especially, to be independent of streaming etc. ... no time to explain right now why).

In short: This guy bought himself a cheapo Netbook (one whose fan could be shut down 99% of the time without ruining anything), hooked it up to a (realtively) cheap but excellent (!) DAC (Digital Audio Converter) and then hooked his external drive(s) into the Netbook (which runs foobar).

Bingo!

Done.

Uhm, yeah, but that's old news, isn't it?

I still prefer the Ampache way (mentioned that one earlier this year here) because, IMO, it's a waste to use a netbook that runs a file or web server and use it stationary. I'd rather use the netbook as portable frontend.

And one more:

I still haven't figured out if I can actually run my LP rips 24/96 through a setup like that (I think so)?

Sure, why not. A file is a file is a file.

Sure, but I get confused with all that digital conversion. An LP rip at 24/96 can't be burned to CD (Redbook standard) but has to be burned to DVD (and played via hardware that can read that). So, I never know what is actually output from, say, the netbook (via any "out") and what the V-Dac then does with it. I guess I have to read more. :)

And one more:

I still haven't figured out if I can actually run my LP rips 24/96 through a setup like that (I think so)?

Sure, why not. A file is a file is a file.

Sure, but I get confused with all that digital conversion. An LP rip at 24/96 can't be burned to CD (Redbook standard) but has to be burned to DVD (and played via hardware that can read that). So, I never know what is actually output from, say, the netbook (via any "out") and what the V-Dac then does with it. I guess I have to read more. :)

Well, yes, take a look at the V-DAC specs and find out if you have to deal with downconversion/downsampling when playing 24/96 files. Shouldn't be too confusing, I guess.

And one more:

Claude, do you have an answer to that (for people like me who are dumb and blind)?

:)

This depends on the ability of the DAC to accept 24/96 PCM signal on it's digital inputs. Even with current DACs, there are often limitations.

Strangely, the manual on the Musical Fidelity website does not contain detailed specs concerning the inputs, but I found this:

The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is limited to 16bit at 44.1 and 48khz via USB.

Your MacBook will have an optical output but this is "hidden" within the headphone socket. You'll need a Mini-TOSLink to TOSLink cable. Various companies make these including Chord and Supra. If I may, I would suggest you try Sevenoaks in Nottingham who have always been friendly along with being helpful / knowledgable (only relationship with them is as a happy customer).

If you need any further help feel free to drop me a line.

Eloise

PS In reply to Pierre's comment: the V-DAC is (as far as I know) limited to 24/96 on it's inputs though it does upsampler to 24/192.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/...ie-questions-UK

If that is correct, you'll only be able to play 24/96 files with full resolution over the optical cable connection.

There are very few USB DACs that will do 24/96 on the USB input. Benchmark, Wavelength and Empirical are the ones that come to mind.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/...DAC-Information

What the hell are you people talking about? :D

I'm not quite sure, actually. ;)

Seriously though. I have a ton of LP rips that often sound so much better than even the best CD remasters (YMMV) of the same sessions. These exceed CD (redbook) standards and usually need to be burned to DVD and then played via a DVD player because of the higher "resolution".

Because I a) have so many of these and b) don't have too much cash, I'm looking for an affordable way to play these via my stereo by hooking up a notebook/netbook to which I attach one or more hard drives (on which I keep these LP rips). This notebook will be connected to my amp via the above mentioned DAC (a converter) which needs to be able to feed the higher "resolution" to the amp without producing nothing but static or sounds of dying pigs (that's what it sounded like when dumb me tried to burn this stuff to a standard CD years ago). ;)

So, in the end, I'll have a small Netbook standing next to my PC with a media player on it (Foobar) via which I can access thousands of tracks neatly organized in many hundreds of folders on my external drive(s).

:)