Converting audio cassettes to mp3?

mjzee

So I have a bunch of audio cassettes I want to load onto my computer. Normally, I'd just play them on my stereo and record on my CD recorder, then rip the CDs on my computer, etc. But I now find that, probably due to inactivity, my tape deck is shredding the tapes. I don't want to pay too much money for a tape deck that will be of limited use. Also, I'm not sure they're manufactured anymore! I see some tape-to-mp3 solutions, but they're getting bad reviews. Can anyone offer a solution?

Hi,

I've been using the following to transfer my music cassettes directly to the hard drive of my macbook (also works with PCs):

http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/grace-tap...t2usb-p-45.html

It is very easy to use and it works well. If you look at the website above, they also have the manual on line so you can take a look and see if this particular model will work for you. I purchased my via amazon.com. I took a look at amazon's website and they still offer this model for sale. there.

Good luck!

Marla

If cost is an issue why not check local garage sales or maybe craig's list? At this point, if you can find a tape deck used, it'll probably be pretty cheap.

Yeah, tape decks are a dime/dozen at most Goodwills. I actually found a $500 (circa 1980) Nakamichi at a thrift store for $15.

Nah, I want a new one. I have an old one, and it's creasing my tapes.

There's no way a new piece of junk from China would be better than an old Nakamichi or other high-end manufacturer. Almost all of today's cassette decks are junk. They don't make them "hi-fi" any more. I would be way more worried about a new machine creasing tapes than an older high-end model.

I wish I could find a circa 1980 Nak tape deck for $15. I'm sure it would put my cheapie Sony dual deck to shame. :)

Nah, I want a new one. I have an old one, and it's creasing my tapes.

I see. I thought you asked for cost effective solutions but what you're really asking for is for someone else to do your homework and comparative shop for you. In that case, my suggestion is to start embracing technology sooner. Good luck.

The rub of analog technology is that transferring to digital must always be done in real time, ie, play the tape while recording it another format. There is no alternative.

Edited by Brute

The rub of analog technology is that transferring to digital must always be done in real time, ie, play the tape while recording it another format. There is no alternative.

Not true . High speed digitizers are available , at a price , but even if it were true that digitizing had to be done in real-time , how would this be "the rub" ? If you're too busy to listen to a tape as it's being digitized , then you're likely too busy to listen to the resulting digital copy , so why bother with digitization at all ?

crank alert for 11/18/09:

"I see. I thought you asked for cost effective solutions but what you're really asking for is for someone else to do your homework and comparative shop for you. In that case, my suggestion is to start embracing technology sooner. Good luck"

give the guy a break. He was asking for assistance.

I'm going to stress the Golden Rule again.

Edited by AllenLowe

Not true . High speed digitizers are available , at a price , but even if it were true that digitizing had to be done in real-time , how would this be "the rub" ? If you're too busy to listen to a tape as it's being digitized , then you're likely too busy to listen to the resulting digital copy , so why bother with digitization at all ?

I'd love to see one of these "high speed" digitizers. Can you show me one? If you were to convert a tape at 2x speed to a digital file it would require you to adjust it after the fact with software, otherwise it would be a 2x speed? Sort of goes against the "cheap" concept. Listen, I don't have a problem with analog sources, champ. Didn't mean to give that impression but I haven't owned a cassette tape or player in nearly 20 years mainly because they sound like shit to me.

I guess I was confused about the guy's question because to me, "cheap" doesn't usually equate to "new". What the fuck do I know? I'll go back to lurking now and leave the posting to the experts.

Edited by Brute

I'd love to see one of these "high speed" digitizers. Can you show me one?

Well I could , only then I'd be doing your homework for you <_<

I'd love to see one of these "high speed" digitizers. Can you show me one?

Well I could , only then I'd be doing your homework for you <_<

Ow. <_< I still call bullshit. I really don't see how it's possible but since I don't own any cassettes, I don't give a rat's ass either way, Chas. Cheers.

It's not that hard to understand. I have audio cassettes that I want to transfer to mp3. I was using an old tape deck to do so, but it is now eating tapes. Since tape players use things like rubber rollers, belts and such, it's not unreasonable to think that time, rubber drying out, misalignment and such are to blame, and that such conditions could be present on any used tape deck I might find at a garage sale. In any event, I don't want to sacrifice some more tapes to find out. I therefore want to buy something new. However, since I plan to only use this unit for a finite time (ending when I've finished transferring tapes), I don't want to spend a lot of money. However, I would like something that sounds musical (since that's the whole point of this exercise).

Kapish?

Marla suggested the Grace. Since Marla likes good jazz, I respect her opinion. Since I'm also open to other ideas, I'm considering a (cheap but new) TEAC deck, since it has auto reverse and would make the transfer task a little easier.

Finally, another way to say "asking...for someone else to do your homework and comparative shop for you" is "Can anyone offer some advice?" As you might have noticed, people do that often at this friendly bulletin board.

I found the instruction to embrace technology earlier, to be an odd instruction. I have a bunch of cassette tapes which I recorded in the 1970s, recording shows off of the radio, such as Sun Ra at the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. I too would like to convert that to another format. How was I supposed to have embraced digital technology in 1978?

I have two decent cassette machines that I used when I was in business doing transfers - if anybody wants I would be happy to put a casette tape onto a CDR in real time (I think my CD recorder still works, though I haven't used it in some time) - then you can take the cdr and put it on a computer and edit. I use nice converters, it'll sound at least as good as the original if not better (with a little eq) -

just email me if you want.

Edited by AllenLowe

I have two decent cassette machines that I used when I was in business doing transfers - if anybody wants I would be happy to put a casette tape onto a CDR in real time (I think my CD recorder still works, though I haven't used it in some time) - then you can take the cdr and put it on a computer and edit. I use nice converters, it'll sound at least as good as the original if not better (with a little eq) -

just email me if you want.

Allen, I have sent you a PM on this.

I offered a suggestion and was only trying to help. Sorry, next time I won't bother.

I think that you should freely give us your thoughts and information, but perhaps in a slightly more positively stated manner.

I think you'll be fine either way. If there is a TEAC to CD or MP3 deck, sounds great, too! I've been recording directly to the hard drive of my macbook and then I can convert to whatever I want and then upload to my itunes database or make a simple CD recording. The Grace works fine. Is it built strong and sturdy like my old Sony tape deck...no. However, I've used the Grace for many, many hours/many, many cassettes and it is still going strong.

Good luck with whatever you choose and yes, I am a jazz fan of the first order ;-).

Regards,

Marla

Yeah, the time has come that I need to think proactively about this stuff. I think fondly of all my Beta tapes that I had to junk because I had nothing to play them on. Before you know it, audio cassettes may face the same fate. After all, they are inferior technology, so they won't have the same loyalty that vinyl has. Nonetheless, they were the only thing available for the longest time.

An interesting little factoid: VHS hi-fi or Beta hi-fi have the same dynamic range as CDs (and might sound warmer because they're not digital). I tried using them as audio-only decks, and let's just say they weren't very user-friendly. The possibilities always intrigued me, though.

And hey, Brute, no problem. Welcome to the board!