Blue Notes you shouldn't...

mgraham333

In fact, didn't I read somewhere the Alfred Lion wanted to quit BN and just follow Smith around taping his concerts?

Now that would have been interesting. Never heard that before. Anyone else have any information about this?

Think it was in some "History of Jazz" book I checked out of the library a couple of years ago. Can't, for the life of me, remember the author.

Hi Matthew & Morganized,

I've heard that same story as well. I'm pretty sure Ruth Lion was the one who mentioned it when she was interviewed for that Blue Note Documentary released on VHS a few years ago.

She also went on to lament how it was one of Alfred's (and Blue Note's) darkest times when "another, bigger record company came along and snatched Jimmy up" in the 60's. I have to say I agree with her on that one!

Cheers,

Shane

Shane's correct here. Ruth Lion gives this story on the VHS Story of Blue Note.

Unless you happen to have the JRVGs of Elmo Hope's BN sessions, you don't wait to wait for this one, plus put together, the JRVGs don't have as much music as the original US version. The same can also be said for the Wynton Kelly cd, Piano Interpretations.

• 1 month later...

I love Donald Byrd's "Mustang."

I love the linernotes pointing out Kyner's idea that "when my royalty check comes in, I think I'm gonna buy me a Mustang!"

I doubt whether Frank Zappa or any of the Mothers had read this valuable piece of information when they used the line in Flower Punk on their WOIIFT$ album. Would be cool if it were so though.