just wanted to mention

AllenLowe

this is something I am convinced of after having spent a few hours recording with the man on Saturday. Buy his CDs. He is truly the last of the great jazz charismatics.

there is nothing like his SOUND anywhere else.

ahhhhhhhh..............................

not to mention that he is one of the nicest people on the planet.

I am going to sleep now because I am very tired.

Somehow, in a way has little to do with technicality I fully agree.

As you know I am a fan of your cd with Rudd "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground", and I really like the one Rudd did with C.Kohlhase too. I will buy your third cd with Roswell for sure. If it matches the aforementioned...

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

thanks; I've been meaning to PM you, Armando, and will do so this this week - the CD is about 2/3 finished, the sessions with Ros and Shipp are mixed; looks like we're going to expand into a second CD, however; I'm very happy with everything and it looks like, with everyone's permission, I'm going to try to start booking this as a traveling blues project with special guests -

the release time for the CD is April or May - the blues reissue, btw, should start coming out in March -

surely you're not comparing Ros to the guy whose playing was likened by one critic as sounding like someone "reading stock quotations"?

I'm certainly a Roswell Rudd fan, but this dismissal of J.J. is way off base IMO. Sound, content, time and SOUL- all there in his playing.

There's room for everyone! Viva la difference!

I saw Roswell a few years ago and what he did was impressive and enjoyable enough in the context (and often very loud), but greatest ever....hmmm. I would nominate another guy whose named contained the letters "Ros".

My nomination for best trombonist today...wait for it....John Allred.

Edited by John Tapscott

I'm a huge fan of Roswell (and Moncour, J.J., Fuller, Mangelsdorff, and just about every other trombonist). Best wishes with the new material.

I was spinning this one today, and it reminded me what a treasure Roswell really is (Numatik Swing Band) (JCOA):

Roswell_Rudd_Numatik_Small.jpg

If I recall correctly, I think he has written a jazz opera too. It would be nice to see some of his larger projects get performed. He has a wonderful feel for every aspect of the music.

Ros is a fine composer, yes - as for "impressive and enjoyable enough in the context (and often very loud)," too faint praise for the man who is one of the most brilliant musicians I have ever heard. Years ago we did a Louis Armstrong program at Sweet Basil, with Roswell on trombone, and the place fairly levitated. It was the most incredible music I have ever participated in. I remember Loren Schoenberg, who was on stage with us, looked at me at one point, gestured toward Ros, and said, "now that's the real thing."

I will tell you, there are few of his kind left anymore.

Edited by AllenLowe

I will tell you, there are few of his kind left anymore.

Well said. I recall seeing him rehearsing in the cafeteria at Portland State University in 1999 with a local saxophonist named Rob Scheps, in preparation for a short tour of the west coast. Nobody at the school had a clue who he was or what he was playing. I watched him rake down tunes such as "Keep Your Heart Right," "Green Chimenys," and even an old blues tune by Ernie Andrews called "Slide, Mr. Trombone." It was hands down some of the best music of any kind that I've ever heard played live. Somewhere I have an interview with him that runs about 90m when he was on the local radio that year (KBOO in Portland)--I need to dig that one out. Roswell is a national treasure, IMO. Someday I'm going to find a copy of his Maine on BVHaast. That is a hard one to track down.

well, I have this fantasy of making a series of albums with him - I have the music and the supporting cast. Just need about 3 grand -

what he has is really an old-style charisma which almost does not exist in jazz anymore, because players are different than they used to me (I don't mean this as a value judgment). One note and you know you are in the presence of something quite amazing - which I always imagine is the feeling people got when hearing Armstrong, or Higginbotham, or Bird and Prez.

Edited by AllenLowe

what he has is really an old-style charisma

I agree. It doesn't matter if he is playing Monk tunes, blues tunes, or with Lacy, Shepp, or as a leader. The whole history of the music comes through his horn, at any time. That is what I love about Roswell Rudd.

For what it's worth, Cuneiform will be putting out archival material of the Rudd-Tchicai quartet with Louis Moholo and bassist Finn Von Eyben. It is comparable to the NYAQ, save that Milford refused to make the trek to Europe in 1965 so Rudd and Tchicai used Moholo (not like he's a slouch, either). This is the same band that had an LP released on the America label. I have high expectations for this release; it is the first authorized appearance of this band on record.

I'm a huge fan of Roswell (and Moncour, J.J., Fuller, Mangelsdorff, and just about every other trombonist). Best wishes with the new material.

I was spinning this one today, and it reminded me what a treasure Roswell really is (Numatik Swing Band) (JCOA):

Roswell_Rudd_Numatik_Small.jpg

If I recall correctly, I think he has written a jazz opera too. It would be nice to see some of his larger projects get performed. He has a wonderful feel for every aspect of the music.

Grrrrrrrr

Where the hell did you find that; I am still awaiting for a cd edition!

(envy)

what he has is really an old-style charisma

I agree. It doesn't matter if he is playing Monk tunes, blues tunes, or with Lacy, Shepp, or as a leader. The whole history of the music comes through his horn, at any time. That is what I love about Roswell Rudd.

I'd never say it better than this. You almost put on screen my thoughts

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

Grrrrrrrr

Where the hell did you find that; I am still awaiting for a cd edition!

(envy)

I actually have two copies (a JCOA/Trio Japanese pressing, and a JCOA/Virgin pressing): I have posted pics of the labels here. I could not get a good pic of the covers of the JCOA/Virgin release, because mine is still in its original shrink wrap (too much glare). The front is virtually the same, but the back is black, instead of the white back of the Japanese release. I think each copy cost me around $25, although they were fairly hard to find, and I bought them about 8 or 9 years ago.

Edited by martini

I have an original copy of the JCOA release of that album. The one before the JCOA/Virgin edition. It came with a JCOA/New Music Distribution Service flyer.

The back cover was black, indeed. The red labels were the same as the red labels that are on the discogs.com page but came with a 'Made in the USA' sign at the label's bottom.

Love that album!

I have an original copy of the JCOA release of that album. The one before the JCOA/Virgin edition. It came with a JCOA/New Music Distribution Service flyer.

The back cover was black, indeed. The red labels were the same as the red labels that are on the discogs.com page but came with a 'Made in the USA' sign at the label's bottom.

Love that album!

Have the same issue, brownie. Haven't listened to it in much too long a time.