"Bob Brookmeyer and Some of His Friends"

ghost of miles

This week's Night Lights program, now up for online listening--an 80th birthday tribute to trombonist, composer and arranger Bob Brookmeyer, focusing on sideman and leader dates from the 1950s and early 60s with Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Jimmy Giuffre, Clark Terry, and the Concert Jazz Band:

Bob Brookmeyer and Some of His Friends

Next week: "Hep to the Holidays."

There's a nice interview with BB in this month's Jazz NY. Also Junior Mance (another octogenarian. This is a great age for jazz greats living long and doing good work into their 80s and even 90s.

Thanks for the tips on those--I'll check 'em out. There's a link on the Brookmeyer Night Lights page to the interview that Marc Myers of Jazzwax did with BB as well (also a video clip of Brookmeyer and Gerry Mulligan playing BB's "Open Country" in the 1950s).

Bob sure made some nice dates, even if you're not a big bone fan (all puns fully intended) - the other guys make 'em worthwhile I'm particularly found of the one on Columbia with stan Getz. Elvin, Herbie H. and a very young Gary Burton, IIRC. I'll have to check out the show when I get time.

"Skylark" from that album ends the show. Hope you enjoy it, danasgoodstuff. Thanks to a fellow board member, managed to play a track from Brookmeyer's GLOOMY SUNDAY AND OTHER BRIGHT MOMENTS as well.

This week's Night Lights program, now up for online listening--an 80th birthday tribute to trombonist, composer and arranger Bob Brookmeyer, focusing on sideman and leader dates from the 1950s and early 60s with Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Jimmy Giuffre, Clark Terry, and the Concert Jazz Band:

Bob Brookmeyer and Some of His Friends

Next week: "Hep to the Holidays."

Up for a happy 80th to Mr. Brookmeyer today.

Bob sure made some nice dates, even if you're not a big bone fan (all puns fully intended) - the other guys make 'em worthwhile I'm particularly found of the one on Columbia with stan Getz. Elvin, Herbie H. and a very young Gary Burton, IIRC. I'll have to check out the show when I get time.

Yeah, that 'Bob Brookmeyer and Friends' is a nice one - and Teo did a good job with the production. Happy B'Day to Mr Brookmeyer !